Saturday, November 14, 2009

It's What they are Fighting For!

With the Christmas season coming up on us, my main focus has been the fact that I get to see my soldier soon. Woo Hoo! I can hardly sit still I am so excited! Anyway, I have been thinking that there are thousands and thousands of military out there who are going to have lonely Christmas' this year and my heart goes out to them. You never know, that may be my soldier in the future... actually it is more than likely to happen.

Ever since Ben told me that most of the soldiers he serves with, whether in Basic Training or AIT, hardly get any mail, it broke my heart. I mean, here are our men and women, putting their lives on the line to fight for ours, and they as individuals are hardly noticed. I thought that was horrible.

What shocks me even more, is how ignorant many Americans are about what our soldiers are doing and what they stand for. A month or so ago, I saw a comment by an Army girlfriend on that military spouse forum (the one I don't like) that just about knocked my socks off. She said that she hates it when people say that our soldiers are fighting for our freedom, because we are all ready free. (And now the kicker...) That in reality, they are just fighting because that's what they do. There is no reason.

I thought, what a moron. Sorry, hate to put people down, but there you are. So I want to pose a question to you: What do you think our soldiers are fighting for?

As for myself, I have a favorite scripture I think of when this question comes up. Now, I am not going to get religious on you, but this I wanna share. There is a story in the Book of Mormon about a young captain who is leading his people into battle. To get his people to follow him and remind them what they are fighting for, he tears off his coat and makes a banner or a flag that says: "In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children." You know, "Freedom isn't Free" and it's a constant battle to maintain those freedoms. It don't matter what color we are, or how we worship, whether we are married or single, have kids or not... I believe we all deserve to make these most precious choices in our lives, and live the way we want to. No one deserves to have others beliefs shoved down their throats, and we shouldn't have to live in fear because of who we are. That's what being an American is all about, and that is what I believe our men and woman in the Armed Forces are fighting for.

Now, if you are feeling very festive, and want to do a little charity this season, here are a few places you can donate to help the soldiers.

USO: Help us serve those who serve us!
Adopt A US Soldier
Soldier's Angels (Who has posted a great list of resources to help at Fort Hood)

There are also many other ways you can help. I know lots of churches post bulletins with their local soldiers on them with addresses, send them cards and care packages, they would LOVE it! When I send Ben a package, I make sure I include enough treats for at least 20 other soldiers... it seems like a lot, but Ben assures me that they are all gone within 10-15 minutes. He says that every day the soldiers ask if he got a package. Warms my heart.


PS -- If any of you have any other great ideas to support our troops, share and leave us some links if you want!

4 comments:

Melinda said...

THANK YOU to your husband and your sweet family for the sacrifices you make to protect our FREEDOM! Your husband and all our brave soldiers are protecting us very real threats to our liberties. I am so proud of them!

My daughter's orthodontist recently collected Halloween candy from all her patients (250 plus pounds) and sent it over to our troops. ;0)

The fact that some people don't "get" the sacrifice our troops are making doesn't diminish them one bit!

Glad your guy is able to be with you for the holidays!

Visiting from SITS...

Jill said...

The reason we are free is because we have men and women like Ben fighting to keep us free. I appreciate all our soldier's sacrifice and their family's sacrifice to keep us safe. THANK YOU BEN!!! :)

Ana said...

Ugh, that is a very complicated question. I really do believe in the mission my dh has done on submarines. I very clearly see it's purpose. I know that what he does keeps us from getting nuked.

However, when the Navy started volun-telling people to go serve in Iraq and Afghanistan, I freaked out. I do NOT want him there. Part of it is because they will throw him into a job he has zero training for (and they have some weird notion this makes the Navy look very awesome), and part of it is because I have some serious doubts about what we are trying to accomplish there.

I don't know where her comment was coming from, but on some level I understand. It gets complicated the longer you do this life. The more you know, the less you want to know. Sometimes, all the sacrifice feels like such a waste. Not that I'm trying to freak you out, but after six years, I don't feel the blush of patriotism the way I once did. It's not dead, but it's different.

I do think all of our soldiers deserve and need mail. I had occasion to send a care package to a guy my friend's husband was serving with in Afghanistan not that long ago. It felt great to put it together. Apparently, he'd had no mail since arriving in country months before. I hope no one has to go through Christmas over there without at least a letter.

On the flip side, if anyone knows a family who is without their military member this Christmas, volunteer to take them out to eat, or watch their kids, or bring them a meal, or invite them to share the holidays with you. Those things are so appreciated. Having been alone one Christmas right after having my oldest child, I will never forget the people that stepped up and made it all bearable.

Lydia said...

I love that scripture, so much that when my hubby commissioned I made across stitch of it with a eagle and flag in the back ground.

the politics of why we are fighting and where are too big for me. what I do know is that my husband swore and oath to protect this country and that is what he does whether it is here or abroad.