Friday, November 6, 2009

Fat Butt Friday: Tips and Secrets of my Weight Loss


Last week, after my 50 pound loss, I was bamboozled with emails about what my secret was, and how I needed to share. The funny thing was, I thought I had! Until I read back my Fat Butt Friday posts and realized that I hadn't shared... oops. So I want to take today and tell you all a little about what I am doing to get this weight off.

First off, I want to mention a few keys to weight loss that have nothing to do with food.

1. Weight loss has a lot to do with your mind set:

There is no way you are going to lose weight if you aren't determined and set to do it. Put your heart into it, try not to let yourself cheat. Remember: Being skinny feels better than that tastes! Pump yourself up, get the support of your friends and family, and don't let the jealous ones pull you down!

Find a hobby, something you can do when you start thinking of food. ANYTHING to get your mind off it.

2. Exercise is vital, I don't care what people say these days:

There are a lot of people that just don't want to put the effort into exercising. Get over it if you want to lose, because exercise not only helps burn calories, but it strengthens your body, immune system, fights depression, TIGHTENS SKIN, and gives you energy among many other benefits. So get off that butt and get going!!! You should get at least 20 min 6 times a week.

3. There is NO MAGIC PILL:

There are lots of diet aids out there -- but they are just that, DIET AIDS. There is nothing magical about them, and they won't work if you aren't willing to do your part. You can't just be stuffing your face with Carl's Jr and expect your magic pill to make you lose weight. It just doesn't work that way. Diet aids can be helpful, with good eating behavior... but you need to work harder than the pill.

4. The BIGGEST key is PORTION CONTROL:

I know you don't want to hear it, but there it is. Watch your portions! I lost the most weight, when I cut my meat portion way down. Half a chicken breast instead of a whole. Stack on the green veggies like lettuce, asparagus, broccoli, peas, etc. Tomatoes are awesome, sometimes I eat 2 -3 in a meal! I like to eat an orange or apple with every meal, and snack on a few hard bread sticks, or a handful of fish crackers.

Anyway, keep those tips in mind.

When I first started Fat Butt Friday I was contacted via email by a woman that lives in Idaho and helps people who are weight loss resistant lose weight. Her name is Jeanie, and you can find her at Modern Mamaz (wait, never mind, her site is down)-- we lost contact when her computer crashed. Anyway, she wanted to help me. So she sent me two weeks of eating plans... that's when the weight really started to come off. I don't want to tell you all her secrets, because they aren't mine to tell, but I will give you a few of her tips and some of my own.

Here are a few things I gave up to help me:

Butter
Sour Cream
Cheese
Salt (at the beginning, but I have salt now)
Ranch Dressing
Soda (kind of... I do have an occasional diet one every once in a while now...)
Yogurt
sugary stuff: cake, ice cream, candy, etc.
High Starch Foods like: pasta, potatoes, and rice

Some things I am eating more of:

Oranges, Apples, and Strawberries
Unsalted nuts (no peanuts)
Lite Ranch Dressing
Chicken Breasts
Deli Fresh Turkey (not prepackaged)
Lots of Water
Lots of green veggies (lettuce, asparagus, broccoli, peas, etc) and tomatoes
Egg Whites
Whole Wheat Bread
Hard bread sticks

Then I adapted more to my plan, and lost even more weight:

I allowed myself some lean ground beef, but no more than 3 oz when raw at a meal.

I made my meat portions smaller and my veggie and fruit portions bigger. I also limited my dressing and fat intake and watched my calories a little closer.

I try not to snack too much.

I also let myself have some crystal lite every now and then.

My Exercise Plan:

I try to walk 2 -3 miles with the boys at least 5 days a week in the morning -- that's my big one. At night I try to do my Wii Fit, exercise bike, or if I can get a sitter, go to the gym. But I make sure, no matter what that I do something physical 6 days of the week. I love working out, it really lifts my spirits!

Anyway, that's about it! If you have any questions feel free to email me or leave your question in a comment!

Here are my weekly stats, by the way:
New Goal: To hit my 80 pound mark!
Pounds lost up to last week: 50
Total lost this week: 3
Total: 53!

For those of you who are new to Fat Butt Friday click here! For those of you joining in, don't forget to leave us your link, so we can come over and cheer you on!!!


Changes Update: 11 Feb 2010: There are a few minor changes to my plan. I do let myself eat fruity snacks between meals and/or a handful of fish crackers every now and then. I also don't eat after 7 pm. I have started running a mile once a week, and LOVE my new Wii program, Gold's Gym Cardio Workout!

The biggest key to my diet is to keep the fats AND the carbs limited, but eat lots of fruits and veggies!! And drink A LOT of water... try 100 oz a day! If you start plateauing, change up what you are eating and try a harder, more challenging workout.

8 comments:

DaveandRuth said...

Good for you!!!

Our Family said...

These are great tips, Cat! Thanks! I had to reread the part about meat a few times. At first I thought you were saying you were allowed to eat only raw meat...then I got it. :o)

Mama Nut said...

Lol, sorry about that!

Yeah, I weigh the meat raw BEFORE I cook it ... hehe... Eating it raw would be, well, gross! LOL

Mach Momma said...

Great tips!

Lydia said...

Great job Girl, Keep it up.

Kritta22 said...

You are doing so awesome! you must look like a new woman!

SJB said...

Thanks for the tips!. Will try this start tomorrow (*_*).

Live.Love.Eat said...

Wow, congratulations, that's amazing. I know for me, even 6 lbs make such a huge difference so you must feel amazing. Keep it up!!!

Thanks so much for sharing in my SITS day on 10/29. STILL playing catch up!!