Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Christmas Comes a Little Early This Year...

...And the sooner Christmas comes, the sooner my man comes too! So bring it on!

Alright, so we all admit that it's a little annoying to see the Christmas trees and Christmas merchandise popping up at all our favorite stores before Halloween even shows it's face. Even some of us are a little put out that Thanksgiving seems to be ignored all together, and any of its displays seem very halfhearted to say the least.

Now, every time we walk into Walmart the kids want to buzz on over to the Christmas section and poke around. I don't mind too much, because it's early enough that they still have the cutest stuff still in stock... as much as we complain about the stuff being put out early, we still buy it! I let the boys pick out their Christmas ornaments already (Tradition. They get to pick out one each every year for their "collection" - my mom did the same for my sister and I and when we moved out we had enough for a whole tree!). They chose little monster trucks filled with candy canes and a little mouse. Then naturally, they were really mad when I put them up and they couldn't play with them.

Then there is the constant chanting. No, I'm not talking about the Christmas music being played over the Thanksgiving isles. I'm referring to the chanting from the kids when we get in the car, walk into a store, or drive around.

"Christmas! Christmas! Christmas!" -- From the mouth of babes...

I thought they just wanted the goods... which they do. But for little Nephi, Christmas has a different meaning.

He has been watching Dora's Christmas a lot, and I keep telling them that when Christmas comes Daddy is coming home. But I thought little Nephi was really excited for Santa.

Then last week, I was sitting on the couch with Nephi, watching Dora for the umpteenth time, when he suddenly pointed to the front door.

"Christmas!" He said.

"Yeah, okay..." I muttered.

"He's coming... in the door!"

"Who's coming in the door?" I thought I knew the answer.

Then he whisper with reverence: "Daddy." I told him he was right and I gave him a huge hug. What a precious little guy! It really touches my heart that "Daddy" is bigger than "Santa" in his little eyes.

Anyway...

Now, yesterday, after having to patrol the Christmas section in Walmart once again before getting my other shopping done, I decided that maybe... just maybe... I would let the boys put the tree up a little early. Heaven knows, Sam wanted to! I caught him three times in the last 10 minutes trying to stuff some little trees, and even a big one in our cart.

So while Sam was in school, I went and got our tree out of storage and Nephi and a friend of mine helped me put it up. I got the lights on myself, and we waited for Sam to come home to decorate it with all the ornaments.

You should have seen Sam's face light up when he saw our 7 1/2 foot tree set up in our tiny living room. Life just didn't get better than this!!
Naturally, they put all the ornaments on the same 3 branches and even broke a few... nothing that can't be fixed with super glue. But they had so much when we were done, little Sam summed it up in one word: "Again!"

12 comments:

Lydia said...

What fun!!! I can't wait until I get home from a thanksgiving trip so that I can get out Christmas. We moved last dec. and I didn't even get a tree. this year I will make up for that.

Veronica Ernest said...

Your a sweet Mom. I'm a little teary eyed. Could be that I'm pregnant but I think its so sweet that you would put the tree up for your kids and sad that you have to wait so long to see your husband. You are so strong.

Jill said...

We're gonna put ours up next week for family night. We usually wait til after Thanksgiving. But this year I've been so anxious to get it up. Your tree looks great. What fun pics of the boys. I wish I could see the boys' faces when they see "Christmas." It's going to be the sweetest thing ever.

DaveandRuth said...

You are a wonderful mom!

Tobi said...

I'm so excited for you and your boys. You have all waited so patiently for Ben to come home. Keep going strong girl! You're almost there.

Shan B. said...

You're a good mom!! I keep thinking that I want to put our tree up now too. Sweet!!

Amber Lynae said...

Isn't family want Christmas is all about. This is why I love having my house cozy and all Christmasy for as long as possible. The spirit I feel as I am surrounded by Christmas, is always peace. I know the world may commercialize it, but that isn't how it has to feel. In my home it is just nice.

Nina said...

You are good putting up your tree. My daugter said she wanted to put up our tree yesterday... but I don't want to lose the extra living room space yet!

Anonymous said...

This was a very sweet post, I think the little ones know much more then we do about the Christmas spirit they seem to be very sensitive to it. Hope all goes well for you when Daddy gets home!!

Our Family said...

Sammy and Nephi look so happy!

Our Family said...

They're so intent on their work. :o)

Guilty Mother said...

Awww, I love Christmas! Billy is 2 this year so will have much greater understanding and Lucy, well, at nearly 5 it doesn't get much more exciting huh? I loved what your wee Nephi said about Daddy. Brought a tear to my eye :)