Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Thinking Outside the Box

Although Sammy is speech/ language impaired, he has a brilliant mind. Sometimes I can sit and watch him play for hours and never get bored... well, maybe not hours... but a long time. I laugh a lot, though because 95 percent of the time he is totally unpredictable in his actions.

Take his new birthday toy for example. I bought him a big set of Black and Decker Junior tools with a tool box. He has seen Ben and me both use tools and has shown a lot of interest in the mechanical aspects. In my mind, I pictured him running around with his little tools pretending to fix things... you know, like "normal" kids would. You would think I would learn my lesson. Sammy isn't like "normal" kids, and I say that in the kindest way, and I should expect orange juice from lemons with my little guy.

Sammy was super thrilled when he opened his new tools... look at that look of wonder on his face. He is thinking of all the cool things he is going to fix, right?Wrong.

His measuring tape became a tow rope for his trucks and his wrenches and pliers became cranes. I watched in fascination, as he picked up all his other tools using the pliers, all the while making crane noises, and slowly lifted each of the items into his tool box. When they were all in, he would then use his pliers to lift the tools out one by one and line them up on the carpet. Rinse and repeat! Well, at least he was having fun!

Nephi on the other hand, found other uses for the tools.

Have a great day!

8 comments:

Nina said...

He sounds really creative!

Jill said...

Sammy's mind is also amazing to me. I love hearing about the things he does. That picture of Nephi is hilarious! You'll be glad you've got it on film.

Geniève said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog :)You have a cute family.

Lydia said...

I love watching my kids as they play with one toy for hours or how they use toys for their own purposes, And how they mix toys that we would not.

Single Mama NYC said...

"Normal" is for underachievers! Sam is gonna show the world the true meaning of the old saying, "Silence is a fence around wisdom".
Xoxo.

Our Family said...

Sammy is so creative. I bet he's a great problem solver!

Lori said...

My 2-year-old has some of the Black and Decker tools and she did the same thing with the pair of pliers!! So funny!!

Otter Thomas said...

It is always fun to watch a kids mind work because they operate so different from us. Nephi on the other hand looks like he operates just like me.