Thursday, October 8, 2009

Pumpkin Cheesecake: A Taste of Heaven

Many of you may be familiar with my faithful reader "Our Family." Ironically, she really is "Our Family" -- I won't disclose too much about her to keep her as anonymous and possible, so suffice it to say, she is a relative of ours who lives not too far from where Ben is stationed right now.

The other day I got a call from Ben telling me that they are going to let him off base for Thanksgiving and wondered if I could ask "Our Family" if they minded having a solider come for dinner. I crossed my fingers praying they wouldn't be going out of town so he would have somewhere to go for this special day.

I quickly got a response from my email saying "YES!" and asking me what Ben's favorite Thanksgiving treat was so she could make it for him. How sweet and thoughtful is that?! I immediately thought of Pumpkin Cheesecake -- Ben's all time favorite holiday treat... next to my famous English Toffee (a recipe I will disclose closer to Christmas time for my faithful readers).

I know I have never been big on sharing recipes on this site, but I really wanted to share this one with you.

I thought I would add this yummy recipe to this site for all you out there who want to try something a little different this Thanksgiving (or Christmas).

Cat's Pumpkin Cheesecake

Ingredients:

3 c. of cooked pumpkin or 1 (12oz or so) can of pumpkin
2 packages (8 oz) of cream cheese (fat free tastes great too)
2 c. of sugar or 2 c. of Splenda (or one of each)
1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
8 eggs
1 graham cracker pie crust in a spring form cheesecake pan or in two 9-inch deep-dish pie plates, unbaked.
Dash of salt
2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 c. of evaporated milk (fat free is good too)

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).

Make a graham cracker crust in one spring-form cheesecake pan OR in two 9 inch deep pie dishes.

Cream Cheese Layer:

In a mixing bowl, combine the 2 packages of cream cheese, 1 cup of sugar, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract - mix well.

Beat in 4 eggs; (either beat them separately, or directly with the other ingredients)

Pour the mixture into the pie crust.

Pumpkin Layer:
In a large bowl, mix the pumpkin, 1 cup of sugar, a dash of salt, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger and 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg.

Gently beat 4 eggs and blend them in.

Mix in the 2 cups of evaporated milk.

Pour the pumpkin mixture over cream cream cheese layer that is already in the pie crust. Neither stir it in, nor worry about floating it on top. Just gently pour it in.

Bake the pumpkin pie in the oven at 350° for about an 70-80 minutes until firm. And don't freak out, the cream cheese layer will bubble up to the surface a little -- it's okay! It just makes it look yummier and gives it a marble like appearance.

Cool it on the counter and then refrigerate it for a few hours to make it into a cheesecake.

It takes really yummy with a little whipped topping on top.


I hope you like it, I found this recipe a long time ago somewhere on the internet and since have made it my own.

You can also find another Pumpkin Cheesecake recipe here at Jill's Recipes. I haven't tried her recipe, but I trust her taste! I have yet to use a Jill recipe I don't like.

PS -- Thanks "Our Family" for taking care our soldier this Thanksgiving!!

11 comments:

Single Mama NYC said...

So glad Ben will have a good place to go to for Thanksgiving. I'm sure the Army would've done their best to whip up a decent Thanksgiving meal but having at a family member's house is so much warmer and Thanksgiving-like.

And mmmm, Pumpkin Cheesecake, one of my favorites! Thanks for the recipe, Cat!!!

Bridget said...

Yeah! I'm so glad that Ben will be able to have a place to go for Thanksgiving. And, I'm super excited about the disclosure of your English toffee recipe, because if I remember correctly it was the most delicious thing I ate last Christmas. Now, if only I can get Josie to not freak out when I eat chocolate...

Jill said...

You're sweet. But remember, some of the recipes on Jill's Recipes are yours, too. ;) I'm glad Ben will get to spend Thanksgiving with family. And I LOVE pumpkin cheesecake. I am thinking I might not wait until Thanksgiving to make it. :)

Andrea (ace1028) said...

That is great to hear! And pumpkin cheesecake is my absolute FAVE! Mmmn, yummy!!! Sounds delish! ;)

Mama Nut said...

Why wait until Thanksgiving?? Pumpkins are for Halloween too! Halloween and pumpkins = pumpkin cheesecake... right??

Tobi said...

I'm so happy that Ben has family that he can get a real Thanksgiving dinner with. Army Thanksgiving dinners give hospital food a good name.

I love pumpkin cheesecake too!!

Catherine Anne said...

Yummy!!!!

DaveandRuth said...

Yes, please post the English Toffee!!! That is so nice that he has some place to go for Thanksgiving!

Shan B. said...

I totally want to try this right now!!! Gotta get cream cheese. Next time I go to the store I will get some. I ♥ pumpkin stuff. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks Cat & I'm glad your husband will have a home to go to for Thanksgiving.

Our Family said...

I can't wait to try this recipe, Cat! I've heard about pumpkin cheesecake for the last few years, and it sounds SO good, but I haven't been able to try it yet. Now I have the perfect excuse. :o)

We also can't wait to see Ben! It's going to be great catching up on all of the family news and having time to sit back and relax with more family. I am getting so excited for the holidays!

CaJoh said...

I never think of pumpkin and cheesecake together. Does sound quite yummy.

Got you linked up. Thanks for your submission.