Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Growing a New Backbone

You may remember my post last week about the 30 college students who made me walk around them and into the mud with the stroller? For the full story click here. Anyway, I got several encouraging comments on that post, and I made a decision, that if it ever happened again, I was going to be assertive and refuse to be treated like trash!

It happened today.

It had rained again last night, and I just happen to once again be strolling with the boys when we came upon the bus stop and 30 college zombies students. It was deja vu all over again! They just stood there and watched me approach them with my tandem stroller. But THIS time, I didn't go around, I held my head high and aimed my stroller straight for several pairs of legs. No, I didn't run them off the sidewalk! What kind of person do you think I am!? I stopped about an inch from some legs and waited for them to move. The guy just starred at me like his brain couldn't process what I wanted him to do. I looked him right in the eyes and shouted so EVERY college student could hear me: "EXCUSE ME!!!!" He started to move but not fast enough. Adreniline was pumping through my veins... "COMING THROUGH!! MOVE IT PLEASE!" Followed by, "EXCUSE ME!" Then when I got to the end of the gauntlet of students I called out over my shoulder as we walked on: "THANK YOU!"

They didn't think I was very gracious. But then again, I didn't think they were either. Hopefully, they will remember me, and next time they see me coming the sea of students will be parted by the time we get there! Or I may have to open a can of mama whoop on them... high-YA!


11 comments:

Wendy said...

Good for you!!! And I think you should open a can of MAMA WHOOP on them. Seriously there is a lack of courtesy going on with some of the "younger" college students. I'm glad you held strong. Keep that up!!!

ANd teach your boys, how to move out of a "mama's" way when she's coming down the sidewalk.

DaveandRuth said...

Good for you!!!

Kristin said...

You tell them mama!

Lori said...

We sound a lot alike. I am so proud of you for getting your second chance.

Jill said...

Don't ever forget... Mama's got the force!

Pajama Mama said...

Glad you stood your ground! If they won't offer to be courteous, then sometimes you just have to MAKE them be "courteous"!!

PS - Loved your grave digger story. How very sweet....bet it made his day, as much as for you and your children.

Lydia said...

you go girl!!!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is, HOW RUDE.

Mama Nut said...

Who me? Or the College students? Yeah, I was a little rude, but last time I had to push my stroller through 6 inches of mud around the students. I didn't want to do that again.

Pam said...

Good for you! This reminds of the movie Fried Green Tomatoes and the main characters rallying cry...

TAWANDA!

For the life of me I can't remember why she yells that or what it refers to, but I can just picture you yelling it as you stroll the crowd of zombies!

Amanda said...

I don't think you were rude at all.You think pushing a stroller is bad...people aren't even courteous when you're pushing a wheelchair. One time I was pushing my mom through the Walmart parking lot and this guy in a Cadillac was doing at least 45 as we were entering the cross walk (Pedestrians have the right of way!) Well, he tries to beat us through the crosswalk,slams on his breaks right before us and then rolls down his window and gives me that gangsta "what" chin tilty-thing. That was it! I kicked his tire and yelled in his window: "She's already handicapped you Stupid Moron!"
Mom was pretty embarrassed.But,hey,at least he'll stop the next time!