Monday, October 19, 2009

And THAT, My Friends, is How Rumors get Started...

Sometimes I forget that not all people know how friendly I am. I can be pretty innocent and naive in the way I think and do things sometimes and fate has a way of coming back and biting me on the butt about it. Like today.

Most of you know, I am a church goer. I am really active in my religion and try hard to uphold the values of Christianity in my everyday life and the way I treat others. One thing I try to do is to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and not be quick to judge. However, by doing this, in my mind everyone else is the same way. Not so... and I have to keep telling myself that... if even to keep my own name out of the gossip that finds its way around wrecking havoc.

Today, I got up early, took a shower, got all dressed up in Sunday best and STILL had time to dress the kids and pack a busy bag for them for church. We even got to church 15 minutes early and got a side pew all to ourselves. Awesome!

The boys were being good, I felt no stress, and we were content listening to the organ play before the services started.

TIME OUT

Now, before I continue on telling you MY side of the story. I want to take you to the pew in the back and tell you the side of the little old lady that sees everything... and what SHE saw.

Little Old Church Lady:

I was sitting on my regular pew in the back, minding my own business and listening to the sweet church music, when I noticed that Cat lady, sitting a few rows ahead of me with her boys, motion to a young man to sit with them. What?! He was NOT her husband! I squinted my eyes to see better. I didn't recognize him. I can't believe the nerve! I know for a fact that her husband is gone in the Army and here she is sitting with another man in church! And there are kids involved.... good grief!

I watched them closely, ready to report to the bishop anything fishy. The boys seemed to know the man, they liked him. Even more shifty! I wish I had her husband's number... he should know what his wife is up to behind his back. And at church, none the less!!

Back to Me:

Okay, I admit, maybe it did look a little weird. But you have to hear my side! The guy I called over to sit with me is a good friend of Ben and mine. He AND his wife. They have been lifesavers since Ben left helping me out with the boys. One or both of them come to my house every Thurs. after I put the boys to bed, so I can go to the gym. J.'s wife has been pretty sick lately so he came to church alone. When I saw him, I thought, he should sit with us so he wouldn't be sitting by himself, and besides he could help with the boys. That was it, nothing special, no ulterior motives. Just one friend invited another to sit at church.

I didn't think anything of it until people started to ask me afterwords about my mysterious friend. It didn't surprise me when they didn't recognize him, he had only been attending our ward for a few months, but really people... most of them knew me. Shouldn't that be enough?

Old Lady on the back pew, you should be ashamed of yourself! It's people like you that can ruin others with your gossip. Please just keep your naughty shameful thoughts to yourself.

PS -- I should just mention that I find this whole situation completely hilarious! Ben laughed himself silly when I told him, only because he knows how devoted I am to him and how completely ludicrous it all is. When Ben couldn't stop laughing about it, I got a little annoyed and said, "It isn't that funny!" "Yeah, it is!" He said. He didn't feel bad for me at all... but then again I don't either...

12 comments:

Pam said...

Shame on her.

Jason said...

I am sorry if my being there was a problem. I had work just after that meeting, so I was not around to get the 'aftermath'. If there is anything I can do to help just let me know.

Merrianne said...

that is so utterly stupid!!! She should be ASHAMED of HERSELF!!!!!!!!!!

ya know... ladies are never to old to get slapped!

atleast that is the way it is here in the South :)

Our Family said...

I'd be upset, too. I hate gossip.

Mama Nut said...

Jason -- First off, it was no problem, seriously! Most people wondered, but they know me and how I am, it was nothing really. I really appreciated your help -- the boys were really good with you sitting there! I will take rumors any day of the week to have piece and quiet in church. Besides, not only did it give me great writing material.. hahah... but I had a really good laugh over it. When I told Ben, he thought it was funny too. The whole thing about the rumors is completely ludicrous! Seriously, some people have nothing better to do than nit pick. Honestly, though, you should think it is funny too -- I bet your wife will :)

Anonymous said...

You...naive??? Never!!! You're much too smart to be naive. Plus, maybe we should give her the benefit of the doubt, she was probaly jealous that you had someone sitting by you.

Andrea (ace1028) said...

Ah, people think what they want to think! I think it's great that you guys have such great friends to support you while hubby is away. Kudos!

Lori said...

I am with the lady that says the old lady was jealous. She probably was. This post was cute and funny. It just goes to show you that none of us are perfect, not even the ones of us that go to church. I put myself in your shoes and well, there is one guy that I sit by sometimes in church when my husband is not there but his wife is always with him and him and my husband are best friends and plus everybody knows him/us, but I say if you and your husband are okay with it, it is nobody else's business. That woman should be thankful that you get up and get your children ready for church. It is hard when you are the only one getting them ready and taking them to church.

Amy said...

The picture of Nephi is about hte saddest sad face I have ever seen!!! Perfect pic Cat! As for the post, yeah that is how it is... sad but true!

Jill said...

Oh, people and their rush to judge! Especially older people. Thanks for the laugh though. I guess sometimes we don't realize how something simple can turn into something misconstrued....

Cynthia said...

Well, you've done your part to keep her mind active and processing. It was a good deed! That's pretty funny.

I try REALLY hard to stay out of the loop when it comes to gossip. I'm pretty sure we've been serious fodder lately too since my husband stopped going to church for awhile and has just recently started attending again. I'd place a bet that there was gossip about us divorcing or something. LOL! I should add that I have to TRY and stay out of the loop because a love of good gossip is one of my many faults.

Otter Thomas said...

I am a religious person too. I am ashamed to say it, but there are a lot of people like that in all churches. They have the holier than thou judgmental type attitude. These are the people that give Christianity a bad name in my opinion.