Thursday, October 15, 2009

...And the Gravedigger had a Cookie

Even though the big events in our lives shape us to be the people we are today, it's the little things that happen to us everyday that make life what it is. If every single day was the same, I think I would die of boredom!! Who wants that?

But how many of us take the time to stop and really think and look at what is going on around us. I think most people have a sort of tunnel vision when it comes to going about their day. Never looking around and thinking of other people. Face it folks, we live in a time where self-interest is highly promoted, and we are encouraged to think about ourselves first. Sad really. How many times to we see parents putting their own desires above the welfare of their children? We think, "how sad." But what about all those times, people are right in front of our faces silently begging for help and we walk right past them never giving a thought.

This is something that has weighed heavily on my mind lately. It really upsets me, when I look around and realize that no one is really seeing what is going on. A couple weeks ago, the boys and I went for a walk. While we were gone it started to rain and so I picked up speed to get home quickly. Suddenly, we turned a corner and there was about 30 college students blocking the sidewalk waiting for the shuttle... and they were all looking my way. As we approached them I realized that if they didn't move over for us we would either have to walk around into the busy street, or walk around into a huge mud puddle. I thought, there are 30 of them looking at me, surly they will scoot over and let a mother and 2 children pass. Wrong. I felt like crying as they pretended to ignore me as I pushed my stroller around them and into the mud puddle. No one said anything. No one did anything to help. It was like I was looking at a group of zombies.

Who are we? Are we the zombies who look on and don't care for others. Or are we the ones that will stand up to crowd and help the elderly with groceries or open the door for the mother with three children?

My challenge to you is to look . Open your eyes this season and make a habit of it. See what is around you, be kind, serve and show love for the people around you. You will be amazed at how YOU will be the one to grow and touch the lives of others and make memories that will last a life time. Talk to people in the stores, smile and be kind... you never know what friends you may make! I met a mom in the mall once and now we go one fun playdates together and tomorrow we are doing lunch.

The other day, I took my boys on a walk through the graveyard with some friends of ours. We stopped to watch a gravedigger (who at this point was replacing a headstone -- but I usually see him digging the graves) work. The boys found it fascinating. Now we could have been quiet and moved on, but the gravedigger turned and smiled at our little group and we struck up a conversation. He was thrilled to have an audience and rushed to the cab of his truck and pulled out a box of cookies to share with the kids. What a fun memory for us. Not a big deal. Not life changing. But one of those fun things we can keep in our hearts and think fondly on the day the gravedigger gave us a cookie.

9 comments:

Jill said...

Catherine, thanks for this post. We all need a reminder to look past ourselves and to think of others and look for ways to help them. We do often get caught up in our own little lives and don't look around at others. I needed this. Thanks!

Mama Nut said...

I was just reading through this, and I hope I don't sound self-righteous!! Lol. I mostly posted this as a reminder to myself to be the kind of person that I hope others will be towards me!

Amy said...

Amen to that sista! I know that I remember times when someone went out of their way to help me, and how much it meant to me. We were not put on this earth alone... but with others, than can lift us up. Letting others in will bless our lives. I only wish I were better at doing it!

Jill said...

Catherine, you are not being preachy or self-righteous. Not one bit. There have been times that people have helped me and it has meant so much. Like once, at Wal-Mart, we were in line with 2 items. My two kids were fighting and had had enough of shopping. And the lady in front of me was so kind. She told me to go ahead. I thought she was doing it so she didn't have to listen to them whining and being pesky. Instead, she was so sweet. While I was checking out, she told me about her two kids and that she understands. It meant a lot to me. I appreciated her understanding of my situation. Most people just roll their eyes, go find a different line, or make rude comments. But this lady was so sweet. I hope to repay the favor (pay it foward) to someone else in the future. :)

Merrianne said...

i think this is a FABULOUS POST!!!!!!!!! and i love the picture!

Mama Nut said...

Thanks, I took that picture this morning on my walk in the graveyard. Beautiful this time of year.

Catherine Anne said...

Cat, Great post on the little things! Blessings Catherine Anne

Pam said...

Shame on those college students. Maybe they would have moved if you had pushed your stroller into their knees! ;)

Our Family said...

This is a really great post. I know I've done things like this too often myself. Definitely something to work on.