Wednesday, September 9, 2009

What a Disappointment!

About three weeks ago I made an appointment for the boys to see the dentist... their first time, ever! I had put it off so long, because of Sam's issues I was afraid to try. Not to mention that every time I try to brush his teeth much drama, finger biting, and screaming ensues. But I knew that I had to get them in for the sake of their teeth!

All week I have been day dreaming about what a great blog post it was going to be. I knew that a trip to the dentist would not only be painful but it was going to make excellent blog material! I mean it had to, right? There was no way, Sammy was going to be good while some stranger poked around in his mouth. I even packed my camera so I could take a picture for this post -- you know, of Sam in the chair screaming his head off... Diabolical, I know.

However, I made a few major mistakes. I know, me making mistakes doesn't happen often since I am pretty much perfect, right? My first mistake was that I called a pediatric dentist, someone who actually knew how to treat kids. When we walked in, it was like kid heaven with mega huge bean bag chairs, a coloring station, and arts and crafts. Sam and Nephi had a blast playing with the nurses and these huge bouncy balls that rolled around the waiting room.

What was I thinking bring them here!? The dentist is NOT suppose to be fun! It is a place kids should grow up to fear... like me. I still have nightmares of my childhood dentist.

When we got in our "room" there was no dentist chair. What the heck?! Sam and Nephi got to sit on my lap the whole time and lay down their head on the lap of the nurse who cleaned their teeth. The things little boys dream of. Sammy and Nephi giggled while she cleaned their teeth with cool animal toothbrushes. Hey, how come I never got one of those?

Then the kicker! The dentist walks in and says, "Hey, Sam Buddy! How's it going!?" Sammy ran over to him and gave him a high five. The dentist could see the confusion on my face and told me that he helps Sam out in Primary at church on Sundays and they are good friends! I totally didn't know that! Cool. Which was my second mistake... I picked a dentist who Sam already had connections with. I knew at this point that my plan of torturing my children vicariously through the dentist was a big fat failure. Oh, man! What kind of mother am I?

Sammy had a cavity. But I am pretty sure, he will think it is cool when we have to come back. They had so much fun they didn't want to leave. Have you ever seen a kid kicking and screaming as they left the dentist's office??

And last but not least, they got a balloon. The day just couldn't get any better for them and it was only 11:30 in the morning. As for me, I left with my shoulders slumped in defeat... what a disappointment! Oh, well, there is always the filling of the cavity to look forward to, right?

14 comments:

Lydia said...

sorry that your boys aren't traumatized for life. dentist have come a long way. my kid's dentist has s DS attached to every chair. they love to go. so different then when I was little.

Tobi said...

So funny Cat! That dentist is diabolical if you ask me. Making it fun? Passing out balloons? What kind of crap operation is he running? =)

Barb said...

You want pain, you want something to write a blog about?? I think I can still get you a check up with Dr. You-Know-Who. Just think about that missy!

Our Family said...

Man, we need to find a dentist like that.

Jill said...

That is really funny. I, too, have been dreading taking my little boy with issues to the dentist. Maybe I should come to that dentist. It's sad that you had dentist fears as a kid. I had a great dentist. I didn't ever love getting fillings and shots, but the rest was fine.

It is funny that you wanted blog material... I can see that it would have been plethera of wonderful anecdotes. Bummer. I still got a good laugh though. So raise your shoulders back up in triumph. ;)

Momza said...

A good dentist is like finding a new family member! It makes all the difference in the world! So glad your experience was a positive one!

Shan B. said...

You are so funny!! I purposely take my kids to a peds dentist so that they will not fear going to the dentist. My oldest loves it (almost 7) my youngest (almost 3) still not quite so sure about them checking his teeth but it's usually a good visit. It's fun for me too cuz they can run around & play video games while I sit & read a magazine. LOL!!

Meagan and John said...

oh yeah, well we went to the dentist last year and the building looked so kiddish on the outside, the inside was awesome with a game station and all this other neat kids stuff, all the kids ran around having fun and they you could watch the other kids have stuff done through a peek hole and they had movies and all sorts of kids stuff, I thought this was going to be a walk in the park when I saw how much fun Dominic was having, until it came time to sit in the seat and to have them look in his mouth, he wouldn't even sit on the seat in my lap--nope wouldn't touch it with a 3 foot pole no matter how much I begged, pleaded, demanded--needless to say they never got to see his teeth, once he got into the hall he let them look at one or 2 of his teeth when they gave him a toy, but not by the seat (maybe taking him to watch us get our cavities filled wasn't the best idea)

Single Mama NYC said...

I'd say you're a bad, bad Mama -- except that I'd feel just as disappointed! LOL.

Amber Lynae said...

That is funny. I love the spin you put on things. It is good that Sam knew the guy. Even if it didn't make for good blogging fodder...but wait I really liked the post and you blogged it. So it did make good blog fodder. You are awesome.

Florida Girl In Sydney said...

Sounds similar to our pediatric dentist appt. They loved it, each of my boys got to "help" the dentist while the other was having a tooth cleaning. But there was a real dentist chair-- the dentist said it would lean back when they push their nose-- and it did-- MAGIC.

Kimberly said...

Wow! What an awesome experience at the dentist. If only it could be so easy for adults. I hope my 2 year old's first visit goes as well!

MommyJo said...

You know... I had to take Caitlyn out of a dentist appointment crying once because we had to leave and she wanted to stay to play! Of course she is weird and begs and looks forward to appointments at the doctor or dentist (good kind or not) Definitely tougher than I was as a kid... they must train doctors and dentists differently now than they did when we were kids, because I DREADED the trips to the doctor and still HATE/feel sick about going to the Dentist!! :D

Deb S. said...

Ok, this is too funny! I need some dental humor! I was just sitting in a oral surgeons office and it wasnt the wonderland you described! When I go back I will envision your post till the gas kicks in! LOL! Love your posts!!!