Thursday, August 13, 2009

Guilt Free Blogging: Taking a Moment to Remember why I do this.

I think those of us who blog can sit back and honestly admit that there were times we found ourselves caught up in the blogging culture. I know I have. Sometimes, getting followers can become an obsession, and we find that we spend hours, without even realizing it, in front of a computer screen. We jump from blog to blog leaving comments hoping that they will come look at our stuff, or others will see us and pop on by. We get a huge thrill every time we see the followers number go up, and our hearts fall when we see the number go down. And we always take it personally. Even though we try not to.

My numbers went down literally over night! For a long time I was get 20+ comments a day, then the next day only 5 and every day after that only 5. My followers went down by 4 and my heart started to hurt. What was I doing wrong? I think it might be the giveaways... the numbers always go down for those. I have to wonder if "Fat Butt Friday" is a bust or maybe the "Golden Nut" just plain sucks. Maybe it is because I am not following their blogs, or not commenting enough? I just don't know.

Is my writing failing? No, I don't think so. In fact, some awesome doors have opened for me since I started this blog. Did I tell you I am going to be a real writer now? I am going to have my own column in a literary magazine (details soon to come).

Do I feel let down? Do I feel like a failure? Does this make me want to stop? NO. NO. NO.

Times like these are GOOD for the soul. Let me tell you why. It is these slow, discouraging moments that make you stop and reflect and put things in proper perspective. Why does this blog mean so much to me? Because it is mine. My work, my words, my achievements, my mistakes, my failures, my triumphs and trials, my love and my joys. I am reminded why I do this. Because I love being a mom and I love writing.

Getting caught up in all the blogging stuff can be overwhelming! Product reviews, accepting awards, commenting on other blogs... and much more, can be for a person like me, too much! Especially with my husband gone, I find just enough time to check my email and write a post now and then. As much as I loved reading other blogs and commenting, it is becoming more difficult everyday to keep up with it. Sometimes I just want to pull my hair out!

I am sorry if I am such a bad blogging friend. I think that is why I have been doing the Golden Nut Award, to try to make up me being away from the computer. But I want all of you to know, that I love you. I feel so blessed to have so many readers and fans out there cheering me on. Especially right now when life seems so hard. I put on a brave face and I joke about it A LOT... but the truth is, humor is how I keep from crying. And sometimes it isn't enough.

Life gets so lonely sometimes, that I live for the comments from all of you, to remind me that I am still cool and cared for. It's hard being in The Nutshell all day without conversation... any conversation. So I just want to say thanks.

From now on, I am going to try hard to keep myself from feeling guilty when I can't read everyone's blogs, or accept awards or even pass up product reviews. Please know that I still care!

Any thoughts?? I would love to hear what you think about the big blogging world out there.

******
Also, if you haven't already, pop on over to my new blog "Cat Spills the Beans" -- I have been posting blog design tips over there in answer to emails I have received. You might find something you like! But you'll never know until you go on over. Also I am looking for someone to help me with it, if anyone is interested.

Photobucket

17 comments:

Jared and Vanessa said...

I love reading your blog!! Your humor is great and I think you are such a talented author!! Conrats on the article writing!! I am so excited for you.

Nina said...

Congratulations on getting a column, great news.
I was also wondering if your numbers went down recently? If so it could be that people have been away on holiday and away from the internet? I know that has been the case with me.
Anyway, I think you are great.
Hugs,
Nina

Kimberly said...

I love your blog! I think it is the summertime effect on blogs; less time indoors, more time outside or on vacation or taking a breather. I sensed the slow down on my blog and then I too slowed down with time spent reading and commenting and writing blogs. I have a feeling it will pick back up when everyone's kiddos are back in school.

ROSIDAH said...

Congrats on your new achievement as a real writer! But I think you already have been doing this all along. I love reading your posts whenever I come here, and I can really relate to the soul of this post. Have a wonderful week :)

Tobi said...

I love your blog and I understand why it means so much to you.

Congrats on getting an article! I'm so happy for you!

Keep blogging and don't let it become a numbers game for you. As long as it makes YOU happy that's all that matters.

Practically Perfect... said...

Congrats on the magazine - can't wait to hear more :-)

I agree that blogging can be a lot of work. You have to comment on a lot of other people's blogs and keep up with all of the reading in order to stay up to date, and that takes time! I can't imagine having lots of time to do it if I had kids, so I'm impressed that you and all the other moms are able to. I do enjoy reading your blog, and I think popularity rises and fades, then rises again! It's easy to get caught up in it, but so long as you're enjoying blogging, I say keep it up.

Mama Nut said...

Wow, thanks everyone! I feel so much better already! :)

Steph @ Diapers and Divinity said...

My numbers are down too, and I think it's just the busiest time of summer. I'm struggling to keep up with my own blogging routine, much less keeping up with others's blogs. Do it because you like it and love to get a little feedback. There will come times when you're the one "taking a break from blogs" and then you'll feel guilty for that too. :) Silly, isn't it?

Smitten by Britain said...

Ah, blogger's guilt. Isn't it lovely? I go thru the same thing. I work hard to get followers and comments and then to see comments fall off is disheartening. The pro bloggers will tell you this is normal for summertime but it still hurts your pride doesn't it? I know some bloggers who have stopped showing their followers widget because they don't want that to be their focus anymore. Keeping up a blog is only 1/4 of the work. It's the promotion and SEO that takes all the time up.

Andrea (ace1028) said...

I know how the blogging world can suck you in. Sometimes I go to bed thinking of what I'll write the next day, and don't get off-line forever trying to catch up. It's hard. I think that your blog is great, and though I may not comment all the time I'm definitely here and reading! Oh, and a HUGE congrats on your writing gig! Very cool. :D

Amber Lynae said...

It is hard for me to keep my head above water when it comes time to comment on all the blogs that I love. Some days I just don't do it. Or I bookmark it thinking I will come back and leave a not, and then It just gets away from me.

I am not sure if others appreciate my posts. I often wonder if they like my on going story, or my Wednesday French Inspiration. But you know what I do those things for me. I'm a little crazy some times and that is ok.

Congrats on the column. I love your blog even when I don't comment. Just so you know.

thor0128 said...

We love reading your blog!

Mama Nut said...

Yay, thanks everybody!

You all make some really good points. This is my first summer blogging, so I am glad mine isn't the only one slowing down for the season.

My day is totally made! Thanks!

Pam said...

First congrats on your upcoming writing job! How cool is that? Good for you. As for guilt free blogging, I hear you and I'm right there with you. I, too, got all caught up in blogging for awhile and it was just. too. much. I even wrote a post about it and joined the Guilt Free Blogging Revolution. Now I'm back to blogging for me. Just like when I started. And it feels good. So, shake off the guilt and just enjoy yourself. That's what it's all about.

PS. I also think everyone slows down in the summer. I've noticed most of the blogges I follow are posting, commenting and replying less. I suspect that come fall, all will be back to normal.

Jill said...

Summer is slow for blogs. I've noticed that a lot. I love your blog, too! Your writing cracks me up. Thanks for hanging in there... even during the slow times and crazy times without your man.

Melanni said...

I think you are BRAVE to take on something as time consuming as a public blog when you are a MOM and do all of the million other things you have to do. I have enoyed reading your thoughts and triumphs/struggles you have in your life and I love your perspective. Thanks for having such a great blog!

Our Family said...

I always love your blog, too! I'm excited to hear more about your new writing job!