Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A New Form of Discipline!

I have tried everything to show the boys who is in charge. Timeouts: not effective. Room time: they just play with their toys. Spanking/ Swat: what a joke, with diapers on they think you are giving them love pats. Withholding privileges: they just shrug and find something else to do. This mama was running out of ideas!!

There is no better way to describe what then happened, then in the words of one of my favorite guys: Dr. Seuss (with a few of my own changes)

And the more Mama thought of these big naughty flings,
The more Mama thought, “I must stop these whole things!”

“Why, for three long years I’ve put up with it now!”

“I MUST stop these tantrums
from coming! But HOW?”
Then she got an idea! An awful idea!

MAMA GOT A WONDERFUL, AWFUL IDEA!

“I know just what to do!” Mama laughed in her throat.
And she did a quick jig and tried not to gloat.

Okay, so maybe I don't make the cutest Grinch... but I sure felt like him as I formulated a new plan...

This new method is called "Baby Time Timeout." I know what you are thinking, "what the heck is that?" Well, think about it. What do boys hate the most? They hate being coddled and hugged and kissed like a baby, right? HA-HA!

I explained to the boys, who weren't really listening anyway, that if they decided to act like babies then I was going to treat them like babies. Whatever, they thought. Until... it happened. Sam wouldn't leave Nephi alone. He kept taking his toys. So I grabbed up Sam, who thought he was just going to another regular time out... hehehe... I sat the timer for 3 minutes and instead of putting him in his chair I sat down on the couch with him and proceeded to hold him like a baby. I kissed his face, pinched his checks, and held him really close.

You would have thought I was forcing him to eat a vegetable!! Oh, the injustice! He squirmed and fought and cried out. It was only the worst punishment ever!! After three minutes I let him go. He ran into the other room and hid behind a toy box. Geesh! I never thought my kisses could instill such fear! Go Mama!

The next time he acted up, I asked if he wanted "Baby Time Timeout!" This time he knew what it meant... Needless to say, just the threat of it is enough to bring peace once again to my home.

What is your most effective method of discipline! I would LOVE some ideas!

Photobucket

18 comments:

Our Family said...

I have to say that that is the most freakishly scary picture I think I've ever seen. You're the Photoshop master!

I like your creativity with disciplining your kids. Honestly, I'm not the best person to give advice on this topic. I'll be checking back to see what everyone else has to say. :o)

JM - The Princess said...

My kids both crave mommy time and do a lot of bad things as soon as I start cooking dinner or answer the phone so I put "Mommy Time Out" into effect. If need be, I remove myself from the room (catch a couple of minutes on the tv in the den but still within ear shot)when the behavior stops mommy can come back. Works real well if one child hits the other, then we both go away! We have to get real creative sometimes...

Otter Thomas said...

There is no substitute for creativity. Way to go.

Single Mama NYC said...

You're such a Techie Mama -- that Mama Grinch picture was awesome!

I think you should be so proud of your level of creativity! I just know that will work with my Theo; he HATES being coddled! (Isn't it unfortunate that giving our boys affection can actually be used as a PUNISHMENT? Sheesh.)

Jill said...

Love it! What a great mom. There's nothing like some loving attention to keep them out of trouble.

I'd like to state for the record that if you had just showed me the grinch picture it would be enough to keep me in line for days. That thing is scary!

Kelly Dawn said...

lmao...that is great! Let me tell ya what works in our house since my TEENS are obviously WAY too OLD for timeouts and I am afraid if i beat their butts someone would call cps cause i might not quit :)

When mine fight and get rowdy? i make them sit on the couch, next to each other, hold hands and every five minutes they have to HUG and say I love you :)

Stops that crap right away :)

Got that one from my mama... :)

Samantha said...

You are right about spanking/swatting. I hurt my hand worse than I do my daughter. She just laughs at me. It's very degrading. I may hafta try the "Baby Time Timout"!

Haley Hatch Freeman said...

Cleaver way you added your spin to Dr. Suess.
I feel like that too, some days it seems nothing works. I like your baby time timeout, too funny.

Farmer*swife said...

My kids are older at 7 and 6. The idea of a spanking or even actually receiving one means nothing to Lil'Gal. She'd take the licking just to get back to what she's doing.

Dessert. Take that way? Whooo-boy!

And, now we have the Bean jar for behavior. I combine it with the chore chart but it works wonders.

I wrote a post about how to incorporate it here:

http://growtogether.ning.com/profiles/blogs/bean-is-for-behavior

Check it out. FYI, you might want to join us as a member there. We'd love all you have to share ;-)

Unknown Mami said...

That cracked me up!

Melissa Miller said...

Hi Cat,
It's so nice to meet you! Thank you very much for your kind visit to my blog and following as well. I really appreciate it. Blogland is wonderful! I enjoy making new friends.

I went back and read your big news and that is awesomet! Congrats to your hubby on joining the Army! What a fantastic plan you both have for the future. I'm wishing you guys all the best in this new endeaver. The military is a solid foundation that you will enjoy.

Come by and visit me anytime.
You're always welcome!

Have a blessed evening.
~Warmly, Melissa :)

Meaghan said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE.....Dr. Seuss


Stopping by from SITS to say "hi" & invite u to our Jewelry Giveaway. We are a small charity made up of men/women/children who send cards & small gifts to those battling cancer.

Get in on our giveaway and maybe even join up & help lift the spirits of cancer fighters.

www.spiritjump.org

ThatMommy! said...

isn't it great how creative we can be when we are desperate. lol. mommy perk.

& i'm totally stealing that sitting on the couch holding hands thing. my kids will HATE that;)

Cynthia said...

Now THAT'S some clever problem solving, Mama!

My Mom used to make us kiss and hug each other to make up if we fought. Worked like a charm.

http://www.papermoonies.blogspot.com said...

I think that is a terrific idea.!
You go Mom...

Thanks for visiting me today.
PS
Cat issue, My cat is 4 years old and suddenly decided to have pee and poo issues...
Dang it
http://www.papermoonies.blogspot.com

Janell said...

Hahaha....that is funny. Ill have to remember this for when sammy gets older.

Jodie said...

That is such a good idea! I might have to try that because traditional time out and spanking don't do anything for Cooper.

Amy said...

LOVE the Grinch poem!!! I could just here the Grinch narrator in my mind as I read it! Cute pic! HA HA HA! I use the act-like-a-baby-and-I-will-treat-you-like-a-baby before. I use it when my 4 1/2 yr old wants me to spoon feed her, and then have dessert afterward. I tell her that's fine, but babies don't get dessert.... sometimes it works... sometimes not so much. That is how all discipline goes for me though.