Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Hairy Scary

Male or female, there are some places where hair is not acceptable. But there are some people in this world that choose to throw all laws out the window and just let it grow... in places that are very public and very wrong.

Yesterday, I decided to treat Nephi to a cheese roll-up at the local Taco Bell. Since no one would help us at the drive-thru window, and I would have driven away then if Nephi wouldn't have freaked out, we went in.

I was still questioning in my mind whether or not they were open, because there was no one to be seen, when a middle aged woman came out from the back. She was plump and had gray hair, but what struck me almost speechless was the fact that she was sporting a thick black mustache (and yes, I was sure it was a woman -- she was rather busty). One can not help but stare when people have hair in a place where it shouldn't be... It just seems so wrong and unnatural.

This thought takes me back to my high school days...

My family really liked to eat at a certain Panda Express at the mall, but there was a worker guy there with a black hairy mole on his cheek. I'm not talking little fuzzy dot either. This guy's hairy mole was the size of a dime and the hair was at least 6 inches long and thick enough it could be braided. No joke, ask my sister! We never knew if we should laugh or stare -- but we tried really hard not to do either. It was a horrible price to pay for getting good food. I will never forget that guy...

Anyway, if I had hair in a socially unacceptable place, I would be waxing, shaving or plucking like there was no tomorrow. I guess some people just don't care... do you?

Watch, now Karma will dictate that I get a mustache when I hit menopause, just my luck!

Photobucket

11 comments:

Eternally Distracted said...

I am with you one million per cent - There is just no need. Years ago I had a female teacher who was unfortunate enough to have a moustache - We made sure she knew though as every time she came to our table we put our pens between our lip and nose. If that wasn't enough we called her Ms Hairy-topper-lip ... Kids can be so cruel!

Tobi said...

See this is my beef with blondes! Even if you (Cat) did get some upper lip hairy love it would be very difficult to see. You would have to have a serious 'stache, like the picture you posted on your blog, in order for anyone to actually notice the hairy caterpillar on your face. (Big Sigh) It's just not fair.

Whereas I have black hair. So working to maintain a pre-pubescent mustache free face is almost a part time gig. Sometimes I really wish we were all European!

Melanni said...

I think I saw the same guy with the mole and the 6 inches of hair at a pedicture place in NM! It was just wierd. I don't know...I feel bad for women with dark facial hair. It seems like after a while you'd just get tired of plucking/waxing/shaving all of the time. But, on the other hand, maybe it's worth it?

Mama Nut said...

In defense of blonds...LOL... We can get dark 'staches. Not black, but they are still noticeable. I know plenty who wax the upper lip :) Or even I have known some to bleach it. I had a friend once who rubbed hydrogen peroxide on it every day and it kept bleached out.

DaveandRuth said...

This is one of my mom's pet peeves. Everytime she sees someone like this she wonders very loudly, why they do not shave or wax it!

Kritta22 said...

Oh my gosh! You are a nut and I heart it!

Jill said...

Oh that's just nasty. I was in the grocery store a few weeks ago and the "woman" in front of me had a serious 5 o'clock shadow going on, major sideburns, and BOOBS! It was mortifying to me. And I feel like I am a really open minded person. However, it was just gross. The other problem was I was alone. No one to corroborate my story. Oh-well. I know what I saw.... and it was just wrong.

San Diego Writer Girl said...

I agree! Have you ever seen Paula Cole, the singer? She went on the Rosie O'Donnell show (back in the day) and blasted out a song (Where Have All The Cowboys Gone?) with her arm in the air. Totally flashed her hairy pit as if it was a new car. Eeeewww. That's all I have to say. It's just wrong. My old boyfriend had gigantic hair patches on his back. He was European and thought nothing of it. I wish I could have their laissez-fair attitude. But I just don't.

Farmer*swife said...

You are so cute! Adorable, Gal!

Um, the guy could have trimmed the mole hairs. I almost want to gag thinking about it.

Aging; in the past seven years I have discovered that hair likes to travel on women too. Like, eye brows. Every once in awhile there will be one mid eye lid??

And, I'm not a hairy person. And, the bikini line? It needs a big reminder where it belongs now and then.

Cute post!

Okay, the only cute part was you. Entertaining?

Amber Lynae said...

Cat you are so funny, I love it.... And I am so with you on this one. I am slightly OCDish when it comes to body hair and facial hair that should not be there. Hair moles make me shudder. Sorry I don't think even Panda Express could entice me...and I love me some panda express.

Meagan and John said...

Well, Cat, all I have to know is have you seen me lately? Is this your suttle way of telling me that it is infact time for me to pluck my eyebrows?


Since I haven't gone to work outside the house in almost a year I have let certain things slide--like once every 2 to 3 weeks I finally decide I have nothing better to do than to finally pluck my eybrows because they are obviously not going ot grow in and look natural (except this time there is no bald spots, it might actually work)

I have also noticed that I no longer feel the need to shave my legs the same day that I wear capris, this is usually because I don't go anywhere and it is super hot, but I noticed the other day that it didn't bother me when I went out in public exposing my hairy legs--but these days I just don't really care.

It use to be that a post like this would have caused em to run to the bathroom to get my tweezers, but no such desire now--but then again, the only place I go regularly is church, and a while ago I noticed how judgmental I am of others appearances and I have noticed since I started making it a point to not notice others superficial features I have stopped being so concerned about the way I look and frankly I just don't want to have to endure the pain of plucking my bushy eyebrows unless I am going someplace worth plucking them for (God made my eyebrows so he can appreciate them full force)