Friday, July 3, 2009

Fat Butt Friday: Kickin' It Off!



Here's to my first official Fat Butt Friday! Yay! For those of you who are new or missed the memo: click here.

Okay, so this is how I want to do it. I state my goal: 50 pounds. And then I will tell you how much I lost this week: 2 pounds. So that leaves 48 more to go! I hope I can do this. I can feel my body fighting it. It really doesn't want to lose these pounds... so I am going to have to work harder this next week.

I just want to make it clear, that I am determined to have a good attitude about this. As in, yes, I am seriously trying to lose weight, but at the same time it isn't because I hate myself. In fact, I think I am pretty cool most of the time. I don't think being overweight is ruining my life, and I don't let it pull me down or dictate how I feel about myself. Actually, I quite enjoy poking fun of myself. So when I tell one of my "what it's like to be fat" stories, don't feel bad for me, that's not my intention, I want you to laugh too. So here on my debut, I want to tell you the tale I like to call The Foreigner and the Lentils.

About six years ago, my friend and I went to eat out at Olive Garden (one of my favorite places). I was so excited because I didn't get to go there very often. After we had ordered, I noticed that there was this older man starring at me. I stared back to see if he would look away, he didn't. It was really awkward so I pretended to ignore him and chat with my friend. But I could feel his eyes burning into me. What was his problem? When my friend and I got the salad, the man stood up and started walking over to us.
"Excuse, me," he said in a thick Indian accent.
"Yes..." I said.
"I could not help but notice that you are fat," he said as matter of fact. I was completely horrified. What a jerk, I thought. How dare he! My friend was just as shocked and disgusted as I was. We were both speechless and the man took it as his cue to continue.
"You know, if you ate lentils, you would not be fat."
"Oh, really? I haven't heard of the lentil diet," I said sarcastically... but my rudeness was lost on him and he went on.
"Oh, not many people know," he said. "I felt it my duty to come and tell you. You need to eat lentils... they are like little beans."
"I know what lentils are, thank you very much." I tried not to make a scene, but people were already watching this little drama play out. I wanted to ask him if he knew what tact was... but I didn't. I decided that maybe in his country that is what people did.
"Thank you for your concern, but really I can take care of myself," I said instead and turned to my friend letting him know that the conversation was over. But he didn't leave.
"There are many ways to prepare lentils..." he started.
"You know what?" I asked getting really peeved. "I don't even like lentils, okay? Now, I would really like to enjoy my lunch with my friend." He took the hint and returned to his table.
My friend and I just stared at each other, not knowing what to say. Then I just started laughing! I couldn't stop. The whole situation just really tickled my funny bone. My friend started laughing too. But we really lost it, when the man finished his meal and passed our table on the way out.
"Remember," he said. "LENTILS." What a turd.

I hope you got a good laugh, I sure did writing this... looking back. I have some other stories too -- but that's for another time. I hope to hear some of yours.

By the way, if anyone decides to try the lentil diet, let me know how it goes.



Happy Fat Butt Friday, everyone! Don't forget to leave us a link if you are participating today!
Photobucket

P.S. If anyone has any ideas on how to make this blog better, I would love to get an email from you! nutinanutshell(at)gmail(dot)com.

16 comments:

Ms. Wanda said...

I love this story, wow Lentils who knew. I just started following momsfightingfat.com it's a pretty cool site. Hey I've got 50 to lose I don't know I'll try the Lentils Diet:)Have a great 4th!!!

Cynthia said...

You mean I've been watching what I eat and working out hard and all this time all I had to do was eat lentils? Dang!

I like your attitude too. I feel the same way about my weight as you do. I've still managed to be a successful person even though I'm fat. I'm blunt about it and try and laugh about it too. I harbor no illusions that my life will magically be perfect when I get the weight off because life is pretty darn good right now.

Congrats on the 2 lbs.! I've got about 45-50 to lose myself. Sadly, for me, that doesn't count the 35 I've already lost! Oh well, slow and steady wins the race and all that. Keep moving!

Practically Perfect... said...

Oh gosh, what a weirdo! No tact at all!!!

Congratulations on the 2lb loss - that's awesome!

ThatMommy! said...

ROFl. lentils. i think ur pretty cool too;)

RebeccaMom said...

WOW, I can't believe anyone would be soooo rude! I'm not sure what I would have done. I think you handled it quite well :)

Wendy said...

Okay that would seriously BUG ME!! And I think I too, would have just started laughing. I've been working on losing some weight too, and I've started walking about 8 - 12 miles a week in addition to what I do everyday just being "THE MOM".

Good luck on your goal!!!

You are probably already aware of this but just as a reminder or FYI: Calories in versus Calories out.

You just need to make sure that you aren't consuming more calories than you are burning off. If you consume a lot of calories, then you need to make sure that you are working just as hard to "BURN" them off, so that they don't turn around and get stored as more "FAT" for the "BUTT".

And also, maybe measuring your arms, waist and legs is a better indicator of being healthier. Because if you do any kind of strength training, you'll build more muscle mass, which weighs more than fat, but it's leaner than fat. So weighing yourself as the only indicator, might not be the best way to know how you're doing.

Like I said, just FYI but you are probably already aware of this. And again, good luck in getting yourself in shape and feeling lots better.

Jennie @ Modern Mamaz said...

I just had to check in on Fat Butt Friday... YAYAYAYAYA 2 LBS!!!! Woot Woot! You go girrrrrrrrl! Oops, sorry... I'll save the trying to embarass for my kids! Really, though... congrats!

{jordan} said...

Dear Cat,
You are my Favorite.
Period.
The End.

I want to make you a lentil award. I would have cried, and you didn't- so you deserve an award. I'll get back to you...

Okay, really. Now the end.

Tera said...

Way to go Cynthia on 35 lbs! That's amazing. And way to go Mama Nut for losing 2 lbs. Keep up the good work. You inspire me.

I'm going to keep the Lentil diet in mind in case I get desperate. Thanks for the laugh!

Unknown Mami said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!I can't believe that happened to you! I'm glad you have such a good sense of humor.

Vicki said...

Love the story!!

I'm joining you, my post is HERE

Rbarakat said...

Oh my gosh! That is hilarious- I don't know if he was trying to be helpful or wht but I would've been cracking up too! If I knew you in person( not internetland) I would have to bring you lentils and some recipies just for fun! LOL!

Jodie said...

Congrats on the 2lbs! What are you doing? I need to lose at least 50lbs and it is sooooo hard when you have 2 little ones. So, I want to know your trick!!

By the way, I so would have started crying in the middle of Olive Garden.

Damaris said...

I had a similar thing happen to me. I was swimming and a guy came over and told me I couldn't swim very well but I'd be better if I lost some weight. Honestly, what do you say to that?

Single Mama NYC said...

Lentils! Well, now, I plan on going right out and buying a sack of them tomorrow! LOL!

I personally think you are absolutely beautiful just the way you are. If you want to get fit and healthy then go for it. Otherwise, I say we just hold out until voluptuous women rule the world again! :-)

P.S. I gave you an "award" over at my place, my oh-so charming friend. Hope you have a fantastic holiday weekend!

Our Family said...

You definitely have a good attitude, Catherine. I can't believe that guy! Congratulations on the two pounds!