Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Cat gets Creative

For those of you who know me, I am pretty good with a pencil, or a stick of charcoal... but when it comes to being a seamstress I am sorely lacking. Not that I can't do it, I just don't have the patience. When I sit down to do a project I want to finish it and I tend to get sloppy. Unfortunately, at the same time I can be a perfectionist, so then I get mad at myself for being sloppy, throw a tantrum because it didn't turn out like the picture, throw my sewing machine back in the closet, and swear never to try again.

Well, about 5 months ago, Ben bought us a jogging stroller/ bike trailer for the boys. I was thrilled because I hated taking the tandem bike for walks -- it was really hard to maneuver and steer. I love my new stroller! Only problem is, there is no where to put my water bottle, keys, wallet, mail, sunglasses, sunscreen, cellphone, or whatever it is I need to take with us. Sure there is a little compartment in the back, but not easy access. This was driving me crazy. So, I popped on over to Wally World and bought a yard of canvas and decided I that I was going to make my own bike organizer attachment thingy.

Now, I was prepared from the beginning to accept that my "creation" might look like a piece of garbage. Most things like this I try to make look like they got ran over by a lawn mower. But I was, nevertheless, determined to make a go at it.

Here is the finished product. I must say I am rather pleased with myself. I guess the Canvas Muses were with me.

I hope it doesn't fall apart. That would suck.

Am I the only one that is craft-challenged?

Have a super awesome day!
Photobucket

15 comments:

Single Mama NYC said...

Cat, is there anything you CAN'T do? You're pretty amazing! I don't even want to think about what it would've looked like had I been the one to make it, lol!

Melanni said...

That looks great-good job! And I have the same patience/perfection issue as you with sewing so...no, you're not the only one!

Otter Thomas said...

That looks like an awesome tool belt. You can market it to construction workers. Nice job.

Jill said...

You go girl!

Our Family said...

I think your organizer looks great! What a cool idea!

Meagan and John said...

my problem is that I throw mine into the craft cupbaord and leave it there long enough to forget how bad I am (serious short term memory issues0 so forgettign how bad I am I pull it out and try to work miracles only to remind myself just how much I am not a holley homemaker

and to think, I took like 3 years of home ec

Unknown Mami said...

It looks great! I swear you could sell those.

DaveandRuth said...

I am VERY craft challenged. I think it is lackof patience and lack of ideas. I can tie a quilt, but that is it.

Janell said...

Its looks really good. I cant sew at all. Not even a button on my husbands pants they always come off again after about a week.

Tobi said...

Great job Cat. I can't craft and I can't sew at all nor do I feel the need to try to learn how to sew. My skill set is more along the lines of curling up with a book. =)

Ms. Wanda said...

Nice!!! Maybe you could Paton the idea and make millions:) I love it!

Lydia said...

Looks great, I love to see what others are making, Enjoy your walks

My Sweet Side said...

That is a great organizational stroller pouch. Great job. Just stopping by *waving* hi from the Sista's !

Amber Lynae said...

It looks great. I have the same issue of not having enough patience sometimes. However, I am a person who thinks I can do anything and then gets in elbow deep and runs into problems. (ie. I'm redesigning my own blog right now.) Yeah that can be stressful. But it looks like you can pull off anything you set your mind to. GO YOU!

Guilty Mother said...

I am great with glue and paint but totally rubbish with a sewing machine. Mine only ever made it out of the closet once, to make a very straight forward blanket for the dog. Instead I tend to hand sew repairs and leave the rest to the experts (ie I pay for it). Well done you!