Saturday, July 25, 2009

Boot Camp Boo-Hoo's and Boo-Boo's

I got a letter from Ben this week. He tells it better than I ever could:

"They tried to kill me yesterday!

"Let me explain...

"First, we did the 'confidence course'(origins of this name unknown) which was just a really fun obstacle course where we had to balance on logs and walk the length of them and crawl under barbed wire and through holes and a bunch of other stuff. So that was okay.

"Then we marched about half a mile to where there were a bunch of buildings with no vegetation around them. They then gave us all gas masks and told us we were going to get gasses with CS gas (Tear gas).

"First of all, that stuff isn't just tear gas. Right as you walk in with your mask on, your skin starts to burn like someone's using one of those hair removal machines that pulls the hair out by the roots over all your exposed skin -- which is your head, neck and hands. After a minute they make you lift your mask up and say your name, rank, and the last 4 digits of your SSN. Then you put the mask back on and blow all the smoke out.

"Then they lined us up in front of the exit, pulled all our masks off and made us sing "The Star Spangled Banner." After about the fourth bar, I couldn't go anymore. I thought my lungs were going to explode!

"Finally, they opened the doors and had us walk outside (if you ran, they made you do it again). We had to wave our arms like Big-Bird and shake the gas off our clothing. After flapping a couple of times, and blinking profusely, I saw a guy step right in front of me and take a close-up of my snot ridden face.

"It took a full 30 minutes before I couldn't feel the effects of the gas anymore. Then they marched us over 2 miles home in 90 degree heat.

"When we got back, we had to change our clothes and shower, then put all our clothes in bags marked "NBC" on them (which stands for "Nuclear/Biological/Chemical"). Then they shipped them off to a special cleaner. We'll get them back on Friday.

"Anyway, all I can say is I'll never think of "The Spar Spangled Banner" in the same way again.

"That Sucked!!!!"

A couple more updates: He broke his toe. Had to be on crutches for a few days. And the overnight camp-out would make the boy scouts laugh. Ben said it was shameful.

So I just have a few comments to add to that.

1. So much for a "fun time" LOL (See last weeks post, here)
2. Where can I get a copy of the Snot Face Gas Chamber picture? and
3. This is one time where I am glad to be the one hanging cool with Sammy.

Hope ya'll have a great snot-free weekend!
Photobucket

One last thing! Thank you to all of you who left messages for Ben here. He LOVED LOVED LOVED them! He said it really made him feel like a hero. So Thank You!

12 comments:

Eternally Distracted said...

OMG, that doesn't sound like fun AT ALL ... Not something I'll be signing up for any time soon.

Rocksee said...

Keep goin ben!

ThatMommy! said...

wow. and i thought i had supermommystayingpower! i would probably only make it for like 2 days.. and then i think i'd just keeeeel over and be done!!!! ur man has stamina. rofl.

Practically Perfect... said...

Ai yi yi! Talk about tough! Good job, Ben!

Mama Dub said...

Not funny -- but I had to laugh. I got a VERY similar letter -- except they had to sing the ABC's. And when you got the snot part I about fell off my chair! I actually HAVE A picture like that -- from J's 'BCT YEARBOOK'. Our men are so tough, eh? KEEP GOIN' BEN!! You're doing AWESOME!

Pam said...

OMG! That sounds just awful. You are too funny wanting a copy of the snot nosed picture. LOL! (If you get one, will you post it here?) Just kidding. Anyway, I missed the post where we could leave words of encouragement for Ben. :( So, here's mine.

Head up, Ben! You are not just a hero to your family, but to our whole nation. I will never think of the Star Spangled Banner the same way, either. I've always been very patriotric and I tear up when I hear that song, but now it will a whole more personal when I think of you training to protect us. Hats off to you, sir!

Tobi said...

They put the pictures on A DVD that you can order at the end of Basic. When Joel graduated it was $20.00 for one DVD. But they'll have footage and snap shots of Ben and all of his co-horts training and doing the confidence course. Have Ben buy one for your after he graduates so you'll be able to see what Basic Training is all about.

Our Family said...

The gas chamber sounds even worse than I imagined. It sounds like Ben is doing great through all of these tests, though.

Jill said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I am glad there are men and women out there that want to do this. I couldn't. And I am grateful for those that can and do. :) Way to go Ben.

Melanni said...

Wow, this was an eye opener. Hope he keeps up the good work at Boot Camp and knows how grateful we are for all that he is doing and is willing to do for our country.

Single Mama NYC said...

Please, please, PLEASE post the snot-faced pic of Ben when you get it! hee hee hee

Amy said...

YOu are the man Ben!! I could not even imagine doing that kind of stuff. I was talking with my husband in the car the other day, and was expressing how grateful I was that there were men out there willing to do such difficult things, to be prepared to defend and protect our country. Good for you. May the Lord bless you and your family in your efforts.