Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The New Shoes

Due to being frugal and just plain cheap, I have had the same running shoes for over a year now. They are looking a little pathetic now, and are on their third pair of laces. The inserts have slid to the side, and give me blisters on the inner and back parts of my heels, discouraging me from going to the gym or taking the kids on a walk.

Ben told me that I really needed to stop penny pinching and get me a new pair or I was going to do damage to myself. So giving in, I shopped around a few stores to find the perfect pair. Not too hard, not too soft. I hate the toe too pointed, or the sides too narrow. They had to be just right if I was going to spend the money on them. Finally, I purchased these: The next morning at 6:30 AM sharp, I met my gym-buddy outside the apartments. Now let me tell you a little about my friend who I exercise with. To protect the innocent I will call her Gertie (if I have to make up a name, might as well make it a good one!). Now, Gertie lives in the apartment right above me and we have kids close to the same ages. We have lots of fun working out, chatting, and playing with the kids on the playground. And I am fairly convinced she thinks I am crazy. In the good way of course. I think she likes me because I am crazy and she never knows what I am going to say or do. Keeps life interesting, I guess.

Well, on this particular morning, I met Gertie outside to head to the gym. Very proud of my new shoes, I walk with a little bounce in my step. She smiles.

"Notice something different about me today?" I say pointing my foot out as a hint. She looks at me.

"No." She said honestly. I pointed down to my feet. "Oh! You got new shoes!"

"Yep," I said like I was way cool. I bounced to the car emphasizing the way I walked with new shoes. "They are like walking on clouds," I told her.

"Cool," she said. I think at this point she secretly rolled her eyes at my goofiness.

When we got to the gym I bounced inside. She was trying not to laugh, I think. I looked pretty silly. We quickly picked two unoccupied ellipticals, and started on our daily routine. I started out really fast and looked over at her.

"Don't be jealous now of my new shoes," I said teasing her.

"Oh, okay," she replied. I wasn't sure if she knew I was joking or she just didn't think I was funny. So I said:

"I mean it. Don't get jealous if I kick your trash today, because of these super shoes." She just smiled politely.

I kept up my speed, I had to... pride you know. I made it to almost 2 miles when I noticed something was wrong. I couldn't feel my feet!! Seriously! They were totally numb! Now, blisters I could understand, but losing feeling in my feet! I started to feel like I couldn't do it anymore. So I pushed another minute and then stopped. Gertie looked over at me.

"What's wrong?" she asked. Stopping was totally unlike me.

"New shoes..." I said softly.

"What?"

"New shoes!" I said louder. "I can't feel my feet!" She smiled, trying to suppress a laugh. I hobbled over to the paper towels and spray to clean off the unit I was on. When I got back she was getting off. I told her not to stop for me, but she said it was fine. As we were walking out, I told her I thought I was getting feeling back in my feet. She chuckled.

When I got home, I hobbled in to tell Ben that there was something wrong with my new shoes! I told him how I couldn't feel my feet. One look at them and he burst out laughing. I was ticked.

"What?!" I said irritated.

"Your shoe laces are too tight! You're cutting off your circulation!"

Oh, bother. He was right.

The next morning, Gertie and I met outside with the strollers this time, to go for a walk. She took one look at my new shoes once again on my feet and smiled. I quickly answered her unspoken question:

"Turns out I tied my laces too tight. They're okay now."

She laughed.

25 comments:

insider53 said...

Ha Ha Ha.... When I have to buy new shoes my husband says it's more like I'm picking out new feet instead of new shoes with all the angst I feel.

The Blonde Duck said...

I've had the same thing happen to me!

Kimberley said...

OH how funny!!

Sadly, I am yet to wear out a pair of trainers. I tend to get a "running whim" and do a few months of it, and then I collapse in a heap of "I can't be bothered".
My trainers are still embarrassingly white, given that I only use them in the gym and they don't smell at all like hardcore exercise should smell.

Yay for new shoes. I'm jealous of your dedication for running!

DaveandRuth said...

Yay, for new shoes!! I to am in need of new shoes, but they will wait for more of the green stuff! Sometimes I think people are friends with me for the exact same reason, they never know what I am going to say!

Rachel said...

How funny! Thank you for the chuckle this morning :)

Jill said...

Getting a little cocky are we? That is too funny. I hate breaking in new shoes. However, new shoes are fun. I'll bet "Gertie" was super jealous by the time you all got home. :)

Anonymous said...

I love new shoes. On my feet everyday cutting hair....thick matt and great shoes are a hairstylist best friends!!! Speaking from 40 years behind the chair and still loving it. Thanks.....you really are funny.

Meagan and John said...

when I was a CNA another CNA actually bought me new shoes when one day I pointed out how the shoes I was wearing to work each day had been purchased by my mother for me to wear my Freshman year of high school(I think freshman, maybe it was when I was in middles school), not to mention the soles were so warn that everytime I walked on a freshly mopped floor my socks got wet.

I actually hate buying new shoes and wait until I definately have to before I do, to this day I am still wearing shoes I bought shortly after Dominic was born (4 yrs ago) and I think then they only cost $5...I buy new flip flops when I can find them for $1, but since tennis shoes are more I just make due or do without.

Baseball Mom said...

Now that was a cute story. haha. Glad it all worked out.

But this story reminded me I need to get new runners for the kid.

Happy Wednesday!!

Keep moving those new shoes. :)

Otter Thomas said...

Funny story. Glad your feet are ok. I am leaving you something over at my blog later today.

NYC Mama said...

I could relate if I actually went to the gym, but alas, I have not been since before Theo was born. (lowering my head in shame)

Frenzymom said...

That's so funny!! I love new shoes. I don't get them often enough but athletic shoes are the best (unless your laces are too tight!!) ;) I don't like breaking them in though.

Melanni said...

Wow, I didn't know you could cut off the circulation to your feet by wearing tennis shoes! You must be very committed to working out since you needed a new pair of shoes after only a year. Sadly, my tennis shoes are still looking pretty new after over 3 years!

Doug @ Daddy's Tired said...

Pride is both a wonderful and terrible thing...Great story.

Alex the Girl said...

Oh, that's priceless! I'm a picky shoe shopper, that's why I'm always in ragged out shoes.

Our Family said...

Hahahaha!

Brian & Sandy said...

hey! fun blog and funny story. i've had the same thing happen to me! i was wiggling my foot around and kind of kicking it all while trying not to fall off the exercise equipment. i'm sure i looked pretty silly. your news about your hubby is BIG! that will be such a growing and learning experience. if you need anything EVER, please don't hesitate to call me!

Kelly Dawn said...

i love new tennis shoes...and unlike you? I like my shoes tied so tight that it almost cuts off the circulation....lol...wayne thinks i am weird...

kelly

Greetings from Guatemala said...

love your story. How funny! Enjoyed visiting your blog. Saw your link on SITS. Blessings!

thatgirlblogs said...

I can't laugh because this has actually happened to me before.

OK, turns out I CAN laugh. Who knew? :)

Tobi said...

I've had the same pair of Addias running shoes for years and years. I refuse to give them up. They are way too comfy!

Anonymous said...

Try some Keen brand shoes. They're the best. They're expensive (like $80+), but they really are already broken in for you. My feet are never tired after wearing them.... ever.

LORI said...

DARN LACES...GLAD IT WORKED OUT OKAY IN THE END!

Amy said...

LOL! Gee Cat, I thought you were supposed to learn how to tie your shows in kindergarten :) Too funny :)

Danica said...

Interesting and funny.!! I glad you finally got a new pair of shoes.