Friday, June 5, 2009

Little Cat's Adventures with the F-Bomb

We've all said it. Don't deny it. We had to learn it was bad in the first place right? Well, I take that first statement back. I don't think my little sister ever said it... I think she learned it was bad from seeing me get punished for dropping it. She's got pure lips. I'm pretty sure.

As an adult, it isn't a word I use. I flinch when I read it or hear others use it. It just sounds so... yucky! Leaves a bad taste in my mouth, hurts my ears. But I wasn't always this way. Let's go back to the the 1980's... ah, good times...

When I was a kid, my dad was always building stuff for us in our backyard. We had a playhouse, monkey bars, a tether ball pole (remember those?), a slide, and some other stuff too. Among all these great play things, my dad built us "the tower." I swear it should have been illegal! It seemed like it was 50 feet tall... more like 20 really. But from the top we could see the whole block. Including every one's back yards. My little sister and I spent much time on the top of that tower peeping on the neighbors -- good memories.

One day, we had a bunch of our friends over to play in our really cool backyard. I got on top of the tower and for some reason I can't remember, I started calling everyone the F-word. My dear, sweet sister did what any younger sibling would do: she ran in and told my dad. Next thing I know, I am dragged off the tower and into the kitchen. Those were the days of mouth washing... and boy did I get mine! I promised I would never use that bad word again! Promise!

Fast forward a few weeks. Mom wouldn't give me some chocolate, and I told her she was a Mother Bleep. Oh, dear. Needless to say, I was reunited with my old friend Mr. Ivory Soap.

A few months later. I saw a sign while I was shopping with my mom that said, "Get Funky." Now I was still learning to read, and that word to a pre-reader could be a little tricky. Just like saying, "Fork" is to a two year old. I said, "Look Mom it says, "Get Bleep!"

Mom: What did you say?!

Me: Get Bleep!

Mom: WHAT DID YOU SAY?!

This time I got wise...

Me: Get Fuzzy?

Mom: That's what I thought...


My narrow escape. I wonder how my kids will learn it's a bad word. I think Sam will bring it home from school. And Nephi will of course be my little informer. I can hardly wait!

****
How did you learn it was bad? Or have your kids come home saying it? What did you do?

15 comments:

Rocksee said...

I called my momma a Mother F-er when I was 4. I started young. She proceeded to whoop me into the middle of next week.

If I do say it any more I say F! Just the letter. Seems to get the urge out!

Amanda said...

I don't remember when I first used the word myself. I try not to say it now that I have kids.

My oldest couldn't say truck. Yep it was F*&^. THAT was fun around the in laws. Thankfully my 2yo (his younger brother) can say truck, but instead of flashlight he says "Fat guy." That was embarrassing in Walmart recently.

Anonymous said...

lol...too funny. I love little Cat's adventures.

DaveandRuth said...

Good for your parents! I hope my kids never come home saying that word. However their grandma can swear like a sailor sometimes, so anything is possible.

Jill said...

I'll admit the F-word coming to my mind a few times but I've never let it slip. However, my children have come with some less than lovely words come home "learned from school."

My sister couldn't say her S's growing up and she screamed for 45 minutes for a "F***er" through the whole store. My mother was mortified.

However that one got trumped when my other little sister couldn't say truck. We were sitting in church during a part where you really needed to be quiet. Well all of the sudden my sister screams "My Fr***!!! My Fr***!!!" Oh it was so bad. Do you laugh? Cover her mouth and run out? We're still laughing about those moments.

Our Family said...

Hahahaha! What a cute picture of you, Cat! That darling girl couldn't possibly have said those things. ;o)

I loved reading everyone's funny bad word stories, too. Jill's comment made me think of a request:

Could you tell us some of your funny/embarrassing church moments sometime?

Melanni said...

So far our three year olds naughty words come in the form of rhyming. He loves to rhyme and so he'll say things like "I'm a truck, I'm a duck, I'm a..." you get the picture(0: We usually don't say anything b/c we don't want to key him into the words since I think that would imprint them in his mind and then he'd be more apt to say them. He has, however, purposely called me a cheesehead and he calls his Dad a stinker. Oh, and he says "darn it!" when he's REALLY mad.

Otter Thomas said...

I don't remember learning but my home was curse free so I was taught some how. I let it slip for the first time in 10th grade. Needless to say, Mom was not pleased

Amy said...

Aww Cat, it is sweet that you think that I have pure lips! I have said the word one time, and I remember when I did. It was one day when we were at the skating rink with our good old "modemer" friends (what we called friends from our computer chat room). We were all sitting at a table and some little punk kids... like 4-5 years younger than us.. tell us that we are sitting at THEIR table. I could not believe what I was hearing!!! HELLO! Who did they think they were... and talking that way to a group of kids in Jr. High! So they started spouting off verbal nasties, and in our defense, I threw that one back at them. It was like.. if I didn't use it.. is just wouldn't have been effective.. ya know? I mean, we were dealing with mean little kids... gotta do what you gotta do, right? So there it is.

The first time I learned it was bad was when I was like... way little and I was rhyming words... and it happened to rhyme very closely with.. "the word." Needless to say, you were to first to run to mom and tell her what I had said... I was soooo confused. Poor little innocent Amy, right? :)

Mama Nut said...

Oh, yeah... I totally forgot about that, Amy. LOL. I remember I almost feel off my seat to hear that word fly out your mouth!

I would never have told on you as a kid... hehehe

C.J. Keller, said...

I had quite the colorful childhood-- grew up with my dad swearing every other word. So, like any normal kid, I wanted to do the opposite and never swore...until I was in high school. But no one noticed then so it wasn't any fun.

NYC Mama said...

I can't remember when I first said it. What mortifies me these days though is that my Theo gets so excited when he sees or hears a fire truck and then screams out in the middle of the street, "MAMA, FIRE F**K!!!" Oh, the horror!!!

Meagan and John said...

So I haven't been able to read everybody else replies, sorry, I will in a little bit but right now am gettign ready to watch a movie with my hubby, but I did want to mention that we actually 1 day a long time ago we were pulling into Dollar tree and a white guy in a huge white truck pulled up beside us (both vehicle had the windows down) and Domnic laudly announced "look mom, look at the big white F*^% !!!!!" I will definately write a little more detail about it on my blog www.lewis4higher.blogspot.com but I kid you not I was mortified.

Controlling My Chaos said...

One of my oldest friends taught it to the youngest when she was three and in preschool. I was driving her home from school one day and she said "Mama F says fuh like F*&#." I dang near crashed the car.

Shannon said...

Cat...you are so funny. I remember thinking that flipping somebody off was the WORST thing you could do. Then I did it & I think the 1st time I ever said a "cuss" word was in 5th grade. I had quite the "potty" mouth in high school but then I decided I wasn't going to do it anymore. I swear it's my husband's favorite word...oh well...nobody's perfect. I have caughy my oldest boy say it but it takes me a minute to realize it & then I ask him what he said & he says something else...but I still give him a stern talking to. It seems to work. For a long time I've been like you...I HATE the f*bomb...makes me cringe...but I do have a dirty little past...hahaha. Oh ya...my oldest when he was younger used to say he wanted a "f* & knife" he said it together so fast it sounded like the word & I thought it was hillarious & I used to make him say it all the time. I'm so bad.