Saturday, June 20, 2009

A Father's Farewell

It’s hard on you when you realize you’re not going to see your wife and boys for a very long time. It seems odd that I’m going to be separated from them the day after Father’s Day, and not see them again until Christmas, then until mid February. So this is somewhat of a bitter Father’s Day for me.

As I’m sure the majority of you know, I am shipping out for Basic Training, then AIT without a break until Christmas. Shortly after the new year I’ll be heading back to finish up my training, so I’ll be gone a total of eight months. That’s a long time to go without hearing your children playing, or fighting or whatever they do, and it’s especially going to be a long time away from my Cat.

This, then will be my last post for quite some time and I would like to talk about some of the things I’m going to miss about being a father.

First thing I’m going to miss is the sound of my kids calling me in the morning. Sam sticks his head down at the base of his bedroom door and calls, while Nephi, stuck in his playpen, calls out from there. Before I began responding to them, their calls were quite obnoxious, and rather loud. But now they are more like a light singing to inform me of their presence. I’d get them up, feed them, change them, then control them until Cat woke up. She needs a bit more sleep than I do because she has to deal with the kids for the majority of the day while I’m bringing bacon.

I’m going to miss seeing them smile and laugh, and try to talk to each other. I’m also going to miss Sammy’s sound effects. He’s getting rather good at them now.

Believe it or not, I’m going to miss changing their diapers. I know it sounds corny, but it’s about the only time they’ll actually hold still. Sammy has begun giving me hugs once he is finished, and Nephi, always the copycat follows suit. That’s OK though, they’re still just as genuine. Hopefully Cat will forget I wrote this by the time I get back, because even though I’m going to miss it, I would like to avoid exclusive rights to it.

I’m especially going to miss my Cat and everything she does for me. We’ve been married almost five years now and haven’t been apart for more than three full days at a time and even that’s only happened on two occasions. I wouldn’t be where I am today if it wasn’t for her support and guidance. I’ll miss her cooking, and how she can cheer me up after a rough day. I’m especially going to miss her silly sense of humor, heaven knows her kind of witty humor won’t be where I’m going. She’s my Sun, Moon, and Stars all wrapped up into one.

I’ll miss the hit and run hugs and wet kisses I get from each of them. And most of all, I’m going to miss watching them grow.

I hope all you fathers out there have a wonderful Father’s Day and all you mother’s too.

I’ll see you in eight months or so.

-The Daddy Nut

14 comments:

Rocksee said...

Oh Daddy Nut..

I think that it's great what you are doing. Bravo to you and many warm wishes to you, Cat, Crazy Sammy and Nephi.

I think this was a beautiful post.

I love it that you call her "my Cat".. that's very so sweet.

Anonymous said...

How precious it that....and the photo says it all. Happy Father's Day to you.

C.J. Keller, said...

I can't seem to find any words to put together appropriately. I can only try to imagine what you all are feeling, but I'm sure I fail. My heart is just breaking for you. I admire your dedication for committing to what is right for your family and your future. I wish you a very special Father's Day and hope the next one also finds you home.

Jacqueline said...

My husband and I can relate to that. When he went to Iraq he was gone for 14 months and we didn't see each other at all for the last 9 of that. He's missed all our "first" holidays and our daughter's birth due to being a trainer for OIF. It's incredibly difficult for families to be separated like that, we know this first hand. You all are in our thoughts and prayers. Thank you for your service and good luck to you at basic!

kiddiescorner said...

What a beautiful post! Happy Father's Day. What you are doing is absolutely wonderful *pat on back* That photo is wonderful.

Our Family said...

What a sweet post, Daddy Nut! I know Cat, Sammy, and Nephi will miss you, too. I love that photo, too. Good luck, cousin!

Pam said...

Good Luck, Ben! Enjoy Father's Day with your family. It will be hard to be apart for so long, but you are all sacrificing now for a better future for you family. Hang in there! You will all be in my thoughts.

Melanni said...

awww, this was such a sweet post. You have such a great family. I hope the 8 months goes by quickly for you guys!

Ana said...

All this time apart is the worst part of military life by far. I appreciate all the things we've gained from it, but the day we walk away I know we will do with relief. Good luck to you! It's a tough road to walk.

Jill said...

Okay... now you've gone and done it. I've got tears in my eyes. You have a wonderful family. I wish you luck on Monday as you go. And we'll be sure to keep you in our prayers as well as Cat and the kids. Good luck.

Farmer*swife said...

Ugh. You made me cry. This is the hard part of enlisting. Thank you so much for your sacrifice; even though, I know you are doing to improve the life for your own family -- mine will benefit from your commitment.

Cat, please, PLEASE keep us posted on daily routines of your children and it can be an online journal for your Hubby -- he will get internet access eventually...

And, keep us posted on the decision your Husband has so gallantly made and how all of you are making your way through it all.

Good luck and Happy Father's Day....

Tobi said...

Bon Voyage Daddy Nut! Basic and AIT will fly by fast and you'll be back with your family before you know it! Thank you for this beautiful post!

Amy said...

We love you Ben! Best of luck in your adventure. I know that you probably won't get this until you get home, but hey, I just wanted to leave you a note. Beautiful blog entry, the love you have for your family is precious. Take care Ben, you are in our prayers!

NYC Mama said...

This made me tear up. Best of luck, Ben! We'll take good care of your Cat while you're gone.