Monday, June 15, 2009

Adventures in a Public Stall

Can I just start out by saying I hate public restrooms and avoid them with all costs? This fear I have, only multiplied when I had kids. It really doesn't help that Sam is claustrophobic, and pitches a fit anytime I have to take him into the ladies room. When I go on lengthy road trips with the kids alone, I make sure I don't drink anything before I leave, so I can go the whole 5 hours without needing potty time. Holding it in if I need too.

So the other day, while Ben was out of town on Army business, I took the boys to Walmart to pick up a few things. Just as we get in the store, my stomach grumbles and... WHAM! Unplanned #2 emergency hits like lightening. I'm not even sure I am going to make it. I swerve the cart around a wheelchair person, cut through the customer service line, and narrowly dodge one of the "associates" loitering in front of the restrooms. I snatch both kids up, one under each arm, and dash into the ladies room.

Lucky for all of us, the handicap stall was available. Just trying fitting the three of us in a little one... the stuff nightmares are made of.

So we get in there, and sit down. I keep talking to the boys to keep them calm, knowing at any second Sam might have a melt down. But they were fine... too fine.

The first thing Sam did, was peek under the divider to the stall next to us. It was occupied. The lady was NOT happy to have a visitor and I thought she was going to kick him. I grabbed him by the seat of his pants, apologizing profusely. Then before I knew it, Sammy was unlatching the door!! I couldn't reach him, I was still planted on the potty.

"No, Sammy! Don't open the door!" I pleaded. He smirked.

"Sammy... PLEASE do NOT open that door!" He unlatched it and peeked out, completely ignoring me. I felt that this was as good a place as any to use "potty language."

"Sammy, CLOSE THAT DOOR NOW! Or when I am done I am going to show you what a swirly is!!!!" I heard laughter coming from the other stalls.

He got the hint. Closed the door. Latched it. Then I turned my attention to Nephi. Gasp!

While Sammy was messing with me, Nephi had quietly unrolled the whole roll of toilet paper onto the floor. I closed my eyes and counted to ten.

Oh my, oh my. What am I going to do without my Ben for 8 months (yeah, his orders came in for longer than we thought)!!


So what do you think about my new blog design? I was starting to see pink when I closed my eyes, thought I needed a change. I have also posted my new button on the right side if anyone wants to update or snag it for the first time. Hope everyone has an awesome Monday!

18 comments:

Skin eScentuals said...

You are so funny! Just checking in from SITS. I try to follow 2 blogs everytime I check in for roll call. Glad I found yours!

Pam said...

Oh NO! You poor thing. I had so many Mommy Moments like this when my kids were little. It IS going to be hard while Ben is away, but you will get through it. Keep you sight on the goal. You can do it! Btw, love the new look.

DaveandRuth said...

I wish you well for 8 months! I can see your life is going to be one big adventure. I to, try to avoid the bathrooms at stores, but those moments when I can not are about the same as yours!

Our Family said...

Ooh, I really like the new background.

Yeah, I haven't figured out a good way to use a public bathroom when my kids are in tow. Especially now that my son is 5, I don't feel comfortable having him in the same stall with me if I need to go, but there is no way I'm going to leave him out in the bathroom alone, either.

Tobi said...

Love the new look of your blog. I'm so impressed that you did all by yourself! Good job!!

My kids are the ones who ALWAYS have to go potty as soon as we get to the store. I'm always the frazzled Mom who is telling her kids that she is going to put them in time out FOREVER if they don't stop crawling underneath the stalls. Usually I end up using bribes to get them to behave in a public restroom. "If your good I'll let you pick out a treat from the candy aisle." That's enough to get perfect potty behavior out of my little stinkers.

Jill said...

I guess I'm going to part ways and say I liked it better pink. But blue is good, too.

Wow! 8 months. Guess you definitely better plan on coming to visit more. :)

And I absolutely HATE having to take my kids to the bathroom with me. It's the worst. My little boy hates the toilet flush sound so he stands as far into the corner as possible. My daughter just stands by the door and fiddles with the latch. I've had too many moments in a bathroom stall that I don't care to remember or share.

Good luck. I'll pray for you.

Alex the Girl said...

This could have been my post except for the continuous repeating of "No, don't touch that, keep your hands in your pockets, NO DO NOT PLAY IN THE WATER, that I have to do when I am brave enough to venture into the public stall. Remember highschool? My mom still recalls my sisters and I rushing off of the bus in order to see who would make it to the bathroom first. And this is my first trip here, so I can't compare your new background, which is quite nice, to your old!

amonkeyslife said...

Oh my goodness! Thanks for the laugh...which I laugh because I know what I now have to look forward to.

When I went to high school as a freshman, there were stories about the seniors giving all of the freshmen swirlies. I spent the first week dodging and running anytime I had to PASS a restroom, let alone use one!

Rocksee said...

That's great.. Ole Sammy.. he's always a good time!!

Otter Thomas said...

A lot of people have a fear of public toilets. Not me. I only have a fear of lack of public toilets. Your story was hilarious and if I had a few adventures like that I might fear them too.

Jeve (aka John and Steve) said...

Love the design of your blog!

Prohomemaker.Com said...

LOL! That was a wonderful story! ... The new design is great, even said as much on the header when the page was down loading.

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

OMG SO FUNNY...so awful, but so funny :)

tracy

HTF said...

Ew, that was a rough restroom experience... but awfully funny . . . from a safe distance of course.

C.J. Keller, said...

Okay, I know I shouldn't ask this if I'm not 100% sure I want to know the answer, but what is a swirly?
I always try to be a positive example to my son and one way is to not freak him out unnecessarily with my own personal fears and phobias. I have failed in this when it comes to public restrooms. Despite what I thought were my best efforts to cover my disgust and anxiety when we've had to use them, my son is so afraid to touch anything that he cries and "holds it in" when he has to go. One time at a flea market, we let him pee in the grass instead of making a scene in the restrooms.

Brooks Nelson said...

I'm so sorry but I have never laughed so hard in my life. One or both of my kids are always trying to open the door on me too. Btw, I love the new look, Blue is my favorite color.

Amy said...

The worse feeling in the world is sitting on the potty, completely vulnerable, and knowing your toddler is about to use it to his advantage!

Unknown Mami said...

I'm just glad you made it to the bathroom before having an accident!