Thursday, May 7, 2009

What's So Funny?

A reader asked, "What I want to know is, what tickles your funny bone? Any favorite movies or jokes you want to share?"

It's kind of funny actually, because I have a wacky-odd sense of humor. It's hard to explain, so let me give you an example:

About six years ago, my grandma took me to see a movie. It was Johnny English with Rowan Atkinson (aka Mr. Bean). Since it had just come out, the theatre was packed. As soon as the movie started I was in hysterics most of the way through the show. The sad thing was, I was the only one laughing. I couldn't help it! Something about the movie just really tickled me!
Since then I have noticed that I find a lot of things funny that others don't. At times it can be pretty embarrassing. Like the time I took Physics 1010. I thought my professor was a hoot! No one else did. Of course, I was the favorite. The teacher's pet.

But it also works both ways. I can watch Jay Leno or David Letterman and not even crack a smile. Drives my husband insane! I tell him, it has to be clever or witty. My funny bone is picky, for crying out loud!

I love British stuff! Most of my favorite funny books are by English Authors -- usually satire. I love P.G. Wodehouse, Jane Austen, and thanks to a friend, recently discovered Terry Pratchet. All very funny! Some British comedies have me in stitches when I watch them, like Keeping Up Appearances or Jeeves and Wooster (which is based on PG Wodehouse books). And no one laughed in the Harry Potter Movies like me and my dad! (Yeah, he has the same wacky sense of humor I do).There are a few American films that crack me up. I loved Galaxy Quest. I know, you are thinking, "that was the dumbest movie..." But think of one that really makes you laugh and I will probably think the same thing! I also get a kick out Hugh Grant movies (but I guess he is British too...). I also love House, The Office, Monk, and Psych. I know most of you love those too... But how much do you wanna bet we don't laugh at the same parts?

I love satire -- and that's why I write it. I love to poke fun of everyday occurrences, and point out the funny stuff that happens to us all, we just don't always notice the humor within.

And of course, I find myself funny. I know, pathetic. I used to have a dry sense of humor -- but no one laughed because they either a) didn't get it. b) weren't sure if I was being serious or not. or c) their IQ's weren't high enough to grasp the concept. So I made it a point to start laughing after all my jokes. It gets old, of course, but so does people not getting it when I make a funny.

So a warning: if you aren't sure whether or not I am being serious, I'm probably not. So laugh! Or at least tell me that you did so I won't feel unfunny.

At this point I was going to tell you my favorite joke. But sadly enough, I sat here for a whole hour trying to remember my favorite one and couldn't. Even my hubby couldn't remember it and I told it to him only a few weeks ago. I feel so lame! Or maybe I am just really tired!


Anyway, I'll just leave you with this pic. Have a great day!

You know you are having a bad day when your kids start to blend together into one big kid with two heads!
****
Now your turn. What do you find side-spliting funny!?

11 comments:

Farmer*swife said...

I love stand up comedy. Love, love, love it...and, I have my favorite sit coms. I love to laugh because it is such a stress reliever and mood enhancer. ;-)

I'll laugh at myself! The little things. Sattire and some witty sarcasm. ;-)

I like Hugh Grant but not for the funny. I'm trying to think of the last LOL movie I saw but can't think of one right now.

I will say hubby is paying the subscription for the XM radio in my Mommy Chariot -- and I listen to BlueCollar comedy all the time with exception to children who aren't wearing their headphones for their movie ;-)

Happy Thusrday!

Our Family said...

I'm trying to figure out what parts were so funny in Harry Potter. I guess I haven't seen it in a while. :o) I like Keeping up Appearances, too. Hyacinth is hilarious!

I grew up on musicals and The Pirates of Penzance is one of my favorites. My whole family cracks up with that one. Kevin Kline is amazing in that movie.

Another good one is Support your Local Sheriff (an old spoof on westerns, starring James Garner).

Quotable funny movies are the best. I think my favorite is Napoleon Dynamite. I know people either love it or hate it, but I can't get enough of that movie. The first time I saw it, I didn't care much for it. But, each time I've seen it since it just gets funnier and funnier. Sometimes, when I'm almost asleep, a scene will pop into my head and I can't stop laughing. I was just reading through a list of quotes online from ND and just reading those is making me laugh. Okay, now I need to go rent that movie. :o)

"Just follow your heart. That's what I do."

Jill said...

Have you seen Ghost Town? If you like funny british bumor, that's a good one. There is a little bit of sexual crap in it, but it is really funny.

My husband and I find that we think things are funny that a lot of other people don't. We just have an eclectic taste... in movies, humor, music, etc.

I really enjoy clever comics as well. I have always wanted to go see Jerry Seinfeld. His stuff now that he has kids and is married is even funnier than before.

MaryRC said...

im with you when it comes to humor. i also love keeping up appearances and vicar of dibly. rent i love you to death... FUNNY FUNNY FUNNY.. my husband thinks im the only one who thinks its great.

C.J. Keller, said...

I'm glad I found your blog! I can't tell you how much it means to me that someone else under 75 loves Keeping Up Appearances and Jeeves and Wooster. I love British comedies. But, I saw one Harry Potter movie and can't figure out where you would laugh. That's interesting. If I watch another, I'll think about that.

Mama Nut said...

Okay, Harry Potter is totally funny! Not as much the movie as the books... but it's all about the one-liners.

Don't feel bad if you didn't think the movie was as funny. Remember, like I said, my dad and I were the only ones laughing in a theatre full of people on opening night :)

Rocksee said...

I love the brits! I am totally down for anything that Rowan Atkinson is in. Did you see him in Love Actually as the gift wrapper?? I thought it was great

Meagan and John said...

I love all those British comedies, especially keeping up appearances and are you being served, but then again my mom is British so I just figured it was in my blood.

I find a lot of things funny that others don't and I am sure I found a few things funny in harry potter, I remember laughing but can't remember at what I was laughing.

I did though find it quite disturbing that when I was in England (wow that was 10 years ago) the only American shows they had of ours was Daria, The Jerry Springer show, and South Park. No wonder why the British think the Americans are all loons, look what we have given them, I sure hope that has changed in the last 10 yrs, oh yeah, I forgot, they did get the show friends. Yeah, we have a lot of work to do there.

{jordan} said...

My hubby doesn't get my stupid sense of humor either. I watched Waiting for Guffman (in highschool)- and I was laughing sooo hard, so I wanted to share this bit of fond memory-ness with him. I guess I appreciated it because i was in theater my whole high school career. Musicals mostly. And he wasn't. So he found it BORING.

He also gets mad when I flip to the humor that is Hyacinth. She makes me chuckle and PRAY that I don't get like that when I'm older.

Pirates of Penzance, Princess Bride, Shanghai Noon (are you not in love with Owen Wilson? Just hearing his VOICE makes me laugh) are classic movie favorites. I love reading Calvin and Hobbs. And I love ironic things- whatever they may be!

I must say that I am a big fan of Dick Van Dyke- the man knows his slapstick comedy. And I will forever love Bill Cosby. Have you ever watched his stand up comedy videos? Classic. But I have also discovered a Master Of All Comedians (who keeps his material insanely CLEAN) Brian Regan!!!!! Yay!!!!! Search him on YouTube...

And I only find myself funny in the LATE evenings...

Our Family said...

Oh, man! How could I have forgotten Princess Bride?! I also love Bill Cosby and Dick Van Dyke, and Calvin and Hobbes is the best comic ever! I'll have to check out Shanghai Noon and Brian Regan.

Amy said...

Ah yes... we have always had the same sense of humor. It runs in our family! :) Always trying to be the funniest :) I love british humor... right up my alley. A bit dry. It was actually my husbands sense of humor that first attracted me to him... he actually laughed at my puns!! A match made in heaven...