Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Visiting the Country: Part Two -- What I Miss & Don't Miss About Small Town Life

Alright. For those of you who are city folks, some of this stuff is going to sound totally crazy. For all you small town peeps, you will most likely smile and nod your head, and maybe even laugh. Our small home town is just that, small. Don't think I am loosely using the term "small" as term of endearment, because it REALLY is small! There are only about 700 people who live in this little town, that actually is in the middle of nowhere. Nowhere: anywhere that is at least 2 hours drive from the "nearest" mall. Seriously.

Okay, now I know you all want to know more about this crazy little town. So I'm going to give you the 411 on all the dirty little secrets of small town life.

I don't miss running into ex-boyfriends from high school -- talk about awkward! I DO miss, running into old friends wherever I go, and getting discounts or special treatment. Today, we had lunch at Carl's Jr. and the manager went to high school with me. I couldn't remember his name, until I looked at his tag, but I laid on the "blond charm" and got a taco salad when they were still serving breakfast only.

I DO miss the great view of the volcano from my parent's front yard (yes, there are volcanoes in Utah, seriously!).
I DO NOT miss the forest fires. This picture was taken a couple years ago just miles from our town.I DO miss the really cool playground at the town park.
I DO NOT miss the freaky scary slide.
Stop signs are optional. If you don't feel like stopping, drive around the sign.I DO miss rush hour traffic in the country. This is main street during rush hour: I DO NOT miss the fact that everyone knows every one's business. Ben and I had our first kiss in "private" in my family room. Then he drove home. When he pulled up, his mom was standing on the porch with a big smile. She said she knew that we kissed! Apparently, my mom was spying on us and called her. WOW, word travels at the speed of light here!

As much as I love being with family. I DO NOT miss being related to the whole town. When I married Ben, I married his rather LARGE family. Sometimes he jokes and says he had to marry me because I was the only one in town he wasn't related to. But I know for a fact that there were at least two other girls that weren't related to him that were interested.... At least I think they weren't...

I DO NOT miss the seasonal allergies, but I DO miss the fresh air and blue skies.

I miss the memories that live here. Our time 4-wheeling and camping in the mountains, swimming in hot springs or the swimming hole. I miss the sunsets and the animals. I miss the people, the characters I used to see every day. I miss the town mercantile, even if the prices are outrageous! I love coming home. And the BEST part? That it is Ben's home too. It's great fun that we share so many wonderful memories of the past, and even better that we are building more memories here for our children and their futures.

But, as much as it's great, there's no place like home. It will be great to be back in our own beds tonight!

****

Okay, that was the last travel log. Tomorrow everything will be back to normal and I will be posting once again as usual. Until then!

14 comments:

paigesmommy said...

Oh my goodness...I think we had the SAME EXACT freaky scary slide in our hometown!

I don't miss being recognized everywhere I go (I, too, am from a small(ish) town and now live in a large city), but I do miss the familiarity and safety of a small town. Guess there's give and take in every situation :-)

Rocksee said...

Small towns doo have the BESSSSSSSSST parks. Mine has a pretty great one as well.. complete with the scary slide!

kisatrtle said...

That slide is pretty freaky and I had no idea there were volcanos in Utah. I learned something new today.

Jill said...

Cat, I loved that small town, too when your sister and my brother got married there. It reminded me of the small town I grew up in. And yes, the mercantile prices are outrageous. It cost way too much to decorate your sister's car at the wedding. :)

Thanks for sharing. I got a laugh and many smiles.

Pamela Donnis Designs said...

It's fun to read this since we are looking at moving to a very small town soon too. I am totally scared (I'm the one that LOVED living in Las Vegas while Jared itches for more space--acres of land, etc.). But I'm excited too... New adventure. And it seems like everyone is so friendly in a small town. And "fresh meat." I wonder what kind of callings we may get (in our branch an hour away).

Melanni said...

Oh, I love that small town! And YES we are related to almost EVERYONE there(0: The Park is so fun and I have spent many pennies on penny candy at the Kanosh Merc from the time I was little!

Frenzymom said...

I think we had the same freaky slide in my hometown too!! I remember it was really steep and scary!! That's too funny.

I grew up in a small town too and in Utah. I live in a small town now but different one. I'm only 15 minutes from the mall or 10 from the grocery store now which is nice.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love fellow SITStah's. I'll be back to visit.

Anonymous said...

I was not spying.

NYC Mama said...

I was going to comment on how I was born and raised in New York City I couldn't relate, but that it sounded so sweet and wholesome -- and then your Mom's comment just made me literally LAUGH OUT LOUD! Hilarious!!!!!

becca said...

I just started reading your blog and love it! Love the stop sign... drive around idea - priceless!

Becca
www.dramaformama.blogspot.com
www.mom-metime.blogspot.com

Jodie said...

I miss being recognized in my home town. It has changed so much since I moved away. I used to hate that everybody knew everybody's bsuiness when I was a kid. We too had that same slide!

Controlling My Chaos said...

I love the idea of growing up in a small town. I don't think I could live in a town without a couple craft/scrapbooking stores though. That's a deal breaker for me.

Haley Hatch Freeman said...

I didn't realize Kanosh was bigger than Scipio, wow. Scipio has only 300 people I figured Kanosh was the same. I laughed out loud at the slide and the street because we had a slide like that forever in Scipio, it is gone now because on old lady decided to drive up it, no kidding! There are streets with the option short cut in Scipio also.. too funny!

Our Family said...

That slide IS really scary. Actually, it reminds me of the one you posted before that is near your apartment...only this looks three times as big!