Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Visiting the Country: Part One - The Journey

We made it safe and sound... well, safe anyway. I don't know about sound -- the kids were especially grouchy in the car. I don't blame them. Five hours is a long time on the road for two little guys. There was much screaming, crying, wiggling, and naughtiness. You are probably wondering what "naughtiness" can 2 little boys do while strapped in a 5 point car seat in the back seat. Well, I got hit in the back of the head with several toys, two water bottles, and a Go-Gurt. Ben got his back massaged by tiny kicking-tantrum feet. And Sam is a MASTER escape artist, a true Houdini. I honestly don't know how he does it! We think we are so clever and have him completely strapped in tight, and 20 minutes later as we are driving along, all the sudden there is this little head peeking between us in the front seat like, "Hey guys! Here I am!" Then he gets mad when we strap him back in, as if we are totally and completely unfair!
Sam wasn't the only one participating in shifty behavior. Nephi contributed to our anxiety as well. While Sam was throwing his Go-Gurt at me, Nephi was giving himself a Yogurt-spa-like treatment with his, shampoo included. By the time we stopped for a pit stop he was completely covered, head to toe.

I can't forget to mention the fact that we have a major backseat driver in our little family. And I am not talking about Ben. Nephi isn't even 2 and he is the bossiest little dude! All the way down, he was making snide little comments about Ben's driving. If Ben braked too hard: "Whoa!" or "Whoa Dada!" If Ben turned a corner a little fast: "No No Dada!" We even got a "naughty Dada!" too. However, the opposite is true as well. If Ben made a move that pleased him like going down a hill, he would yell: "Weeee!" The little car Nazi!

In the five hours on the road there were no naps taken, not one minute of peace and quiet, and the only thing that did not happen was vomiting! (Thank goodness!) And the only "happy time" in the car was the last 15 miles when we found the Chipmunk songs on my mp3 player and played them for the kids. Talk about rocking out! The passing cars must have thought we were insane. I had my arms waving around to the Rodents... err... I mean the Chipmunks singing "Funky Town." Sam was trying to copy my smooth mommy moves, by doing "The Swim," "Raise the Roof," "The Egyptian," and I even made a few up I called "The Snake," "Milking the Cow," and "The Headache" (which was just a fancy move I did so I could rest my arms on my head). Nephi was just nodding his head like he was just too cool to do the moves, and Ben completely ignored us hoping that no one we knew recognized us as we drove into town. Inside the car we were jamming. Outside the car, we probably looked like a family prone to epileptic fits. Oh, well. It got us there right?

****
What was the weirdest thing you did to entertain your kids on the road? Do tell us!
****
Stay tuned for tomorrow's post Visiting the Country: Part Two - What I Miss and Don't Miss About Small Town Life.

16 comments:

DaveandRuth said...

Long car rides, there is something I do not look forward to with small children. I admire anyone who does it. Have a fun trip!

Bridget said...

I do not envy you on the drive, but I hope you're at least having fun now. We have done pretty much everything to try and entertain the backseat troops, but one of Rachel's favorites is when we record her doing crazy faces with our phone and let her watch her own "movies". It gets old pretty fast, though, being twisted backwards for long stretches of time. I guess it's worth it in the long run, right? Have a good trip!

Jill said...

Did you take pictures of Nephi's yogurt bath?

Driving long distances in the car with kids is so not fun. I cheat. My van has a DVD player. But we don't break it out until we've been on the road at least an hour. We have lots of books before that and Brent's rocking music. The kids love music. After all that, then we break out the snacks. But I don't bring gogurt. You're brave! :) Just boring stuff that can vacuum up later if it's dropped.

Good luck on the car ride home. I can't wait for the next installment. Have a fun trip... and tell your mom hi for me.

Catherine Metz said...

Sesame Street was always good. And, then, in a dreadful pinch, there is always "baby" dramamine.

Catherine Metz said...

Sesame Street music was always great. In a desperate pinch - there's always "baby" dramamine.

Blogging Mama Andrea said...

So long as I'm not driving alcohol or sleeping pills.

Oh? You meant the kids?

I have no idea but we have plans to drive five hours to Berlin next month. I don't wanna....

Laura said...

Hehe! Too funny! :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

Tera said...

I used to drive to Nauvoo once a month to visit my parents. It was a five hour drive. Typically my kids did pretty well. But my one-year-old (now five) would get fed up at about the fourth hour and scream the last leg of the drive. Oh, the joyous memories... :)

Haley Hatch Freeman said...

Driving with little ones can be hard. Hope your trip home is better.
Also wanted to tell you that I am doing a FREE BOOK GIVE AWAY on my blog so I hope you pop in on my blog afuturefortomorrow.blogspot.com
It's an awesome book that I think you would really like called Today, I Live.

!!The Obnoxious SAHM!! said...

well since we only travel to Disney which is just a bit of an hour away.. i really can't say. They usually are sleeping. :)

Meagan and John said...

you know, we don't do long road trips unless we desperately have to, but when I was a flight attendant we took a lot of flights and I remember one flight it was just dominic and me and he wanted his daddy (that for some reason he didn't notice wasn't with us till we got to Houston, he just figured daddy was in another seat we couldn't see) and was super fussy and the only way I could keep him calm was to sing the 5 little duckies song we learned in nursery, before take off I had sung it so many times that even the flight attendants were singing it--yeah fun times, i'm sure everybody was ready to strangle us, but it was way better then what happened the first time we flew

Cynthia said...

Our kids have never been to Disneyland in part because we can't imagine spending that much time in the car with them!

I hope the rest of the vacation makes the car ride worth it!

Our Family said...

I love the image of you guys rockin' out to the Chipmunks!

NYC Mama said...

LOL, that sounds painfully hilarious. I haven't had a long car ride with Theo yet, but next month he and I will be taking Amtrak down for an almost 4 hour train ride to DC to visit one of my best friends. With. No. Carseat. To. Strap. Him. Into. Please pray for me. :-D

Jodie said...

Nephi sounds so much like my son. I could totally see Cooper giving himseld a yogurt bath. Oh wait, that is because he has done that before! I too have been known to do some crazy moves in the car just to keep the kids entertained. That and singing at the top of my lungs usually works pretty good. Good luck on the drive home! You could always give them a little benadryl, unless it has the opposite effect on them.

Controlling My Chaos said...

I love my DVD player in the car. We only let the kids use it on long trips, so it's a special treat. Puts 'em right into a coma, before we even get out of town. LOVE IT!!!!