Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Sammy's "Sorry"

Very slowly, Sam is learning to talk. He learns about 1 word every couple of weeks. When he has the word down, he says it ALL the time. Two weeks ago, the word was "look." Everything we did, everywhere we went, all he would say and do is point and say, "look!" The first 100 times it was cute, the next 100 a bit annoying, and the last thousand we just ignored. We couldn't help it... we tried to be excited about it, really! What? I'm serious we did try! It just got old, fast.
Then this last week he started saying, "sorry." At first we thought he was being so sweet! Saying "sorry" for all his naughtiness. He caught on quickly that we liked it, and started using it out of context just to get attention. It all started the night I put him to bed and he didn't want to go...

Sam was laying on the floor by his bedroom door screaming under it, his lips pressed to the crack. He just kept screaming!

"Sammy," I said getting down on the floor and looking at him under the door. "You need to go to bed, listen to how tired you are!" More screaming. I got up and started to walk away. Then the crying stopped and I heard this little voice say from under the door, "sorry..." It was so sweet I could barely help myself, I went in and cuddled him and gave him a cracker. That was my mistake. I should have just let it be... but I am such a softy when Sam says a real word!

So he discovered he could get what he wanted if he just used his new magic word. And boy does he use it!! But being the clever parents we are, we figured him out pretty darn quick. So the other day when he was crying because he wanted a new toy he saw, he quickly pulled his magic word out and smacked us with it.... "sorry..." he said. No go. We ignored him. "Sorry!" he said again, not sure if we heard him. "SORRY SORRY SORRY!!!" Now he was panicking!! What? The magic word isn't working!! What am I going to do now?! He thought. Bummer dude.

Fast-forward to today at the restaurant (Ben took us out for Memorial Day -- lucky us), and Sam isn't getting what he wants. He starts throwing out his sorry's and again, no luck. So sad, let me tell you! I snapped this:

Here he is thinking: "Excuse me, what did you just say? Didn't you hear that I just said 'sorry' and you are supposed to give me what I want?! Come on Mom, get a clue!"

Meanwhile, Nephi is happily snacking away on his french fries:
And I am trying to get a good shot of Ben....
Dang, I just can't tell a lie!! Actually I was only pretending to get a good one of Ben, only because he was sitting in front of my real object... that hot waiter guy in the back... Shhhh don't tell Ben!! *wink wink*
But Hot-Waiter-Guy turned out to be a real grump (even if he did have a great foreign accent!) when Sammy ran into him on the way out. He growled and of course Sammy, ever the polite one now, was right on this time with, "Sorry!"

I looked down at Sammy and said, "Good Job, Sammy!" And gave him a pat on the back. To which he replied with a smile, "Sorry."

17 comments:

Kimberly said...

I walk a fine line with my daughter too. Half the time I want to cuddle her when she uses cuteness during acting up, and half the time I feel stronger about being more firm with her. But depending on what word(s) she uses or says with her hands, it can be hard. Her "sorry" word is "please" (pronounced peas in the softest sweetest voice) and it's so hard to not give in to her. They certainly know how to get us wrapped around their tiny fingers!

DaveandRuth said...

Wow! It is like a scene from when we make it out to a restaurant. It is not too often. My little Emma tries to use cuteness as a way of getting out of things.

Cynthia said...

Cute story! I can just see his little wheels turning in his head trying to figure out why "sorry" isn't working.

Next he'll pull out the BIG guns. The phrase "I love you" that men big and small knows can get them just about anything!

Emily said...

I love little kids "sorries". James says it now quite often and when we ask if he wants something he usually says "noooo" in a whiny voice and when we acknowledge the no he follows it up with a "ok sorry". It cracks me up. Lol it is rewarding though when they use it completely correctly. It's kinda a tricky word!

Jill said...

It is funny how little kids find the magic word. My little boy will ask for something and when you say No, he just repeats the request louder and louder and louder each time. So I get the whole broken record approach. Sam is a smart one. He's got more figured out in that brain than I think we realize.

MDTaz said...

Ah, the hot waiter guy. Now we're talkin...

American in Norway said...

Love the pictures you are too funny! LOL

The Blonde Duck said...

That reminds me of Queen Bitty--she knows her cute look gets her anything and she gets mad when it doesn't work!

Our Family said...

I know what you're up to with the zoom-in on the waiter. You're trying to distract those would-be husband stealers from your man. ;)

Mama Nut said...

Oh,man! You have me all figured out!!

Mary K Brennan said...

I like Hot Waiter Guy too...sorry!

Stop by for a giveaway!

Shannon said...

That's great!! Kids are so clever but we are too. Just curious...why did you have to post a privacy statement on the bottom of your blog? Does everybody have to do that?

KC Mom said...

I stopped by from Sits today...enjoyed reading about your life in the nutshell!

Rocksee said...

*sorry* hee hee hee..

Marie said...

To your husbands credit, I didn't notice the waiter guy in the back at first :p

"Sorry" is a lot better words than some of the ones I've heard kids that age say :D

Amy said...

Cute pictures Cat! Love the sunglasses! I am sucker for the sweet "sorry" too... awe well.. at least they are learning it is a good thing to say :)

meagan said...

I don't care how cute you look or the accent you have, if you ain't nice to little kids you might as well get away from me--that is what gets me about "hot" people, so much goes into them looking so good that they seem to have no time to learn common decency. Atleast that is my 2 scence, but then again there are those who have natural beauty and they are sweet as can be, now that is the perfect package there.