Saturday, May 30, 2009

Sammy Finds Jesus

For those of you new to this blog, Saturday is "Daddy Saturday" where I have the day off and my hubby, Ben aka Daddy Nut, blogs about what's on his mind. For more information on Daddy Nut, see the pink tab above. Have a great weekend! -Cat aka Mama Nut

*****

When we got Sam into his special preschool 6 months ago, his speech and language delevopement was less than the 1st percentile (50th being the average child). The only reason it wasn't zero, was because he made sound effects. "Line upon line" we have seen him improve, much to our delight. I was perfectly fine with Sam taking his time, as long as he learned what "no" meant... we're still working on that one. And lately he has started to mimick words we say. But rarely he says them on his own (see this post for more details).


Even though I have been patient (well, sort of), my Cat really struggles with this. Sure she puts on a brave front, but I have heard her begging Sammy to say certain words almost to the point of crying with frustration. Her biggest concern is teaching the boys about Jesus Christ. Being a Christian family, Jesus is a big part of our lives. Often I watch as Cat holds up a picture of our Savior, only to have Sam slap it down, scream, or run away. Until today... Sammy opened up, and Cat got it on tape. Here is Cat showing Sammy a picture book of Jesus.

Everyday with Sammy, every improvement we see is a miracle to us. Sure he drives us up the wall on most days, but it's moments like these that make it all worth it. That's my Sammy.

Cheers,
The daddy nut

20 comments:

Rocksee said...

Go Sammy! It sounds like on some pictures he calls him God.. I bet Sammy's just holdin out. He's probably gonna bust out some genius words on you soon and act like he's known them all along. You guys do a great job with him! He's such a cutie pie. Congrats Daddy Nut..

DaveandRuth said...

Good for him! A small step is better than no step. As I have commented before our little girl struggles and the "experts" can not tell us why. Have a good weekend!

C.J. Keller, said...

That was so beautiful! I just smiled and teared up with joy. Sammy's future is so bright with parents like the both of you.
And while I'm sure you would much prefer to be at a point where you take his talking for granted, isn't it a gift of sorts that you still can cherish each and every word.

Practically Perfect... said...

That's awesome :-)

Our Family said...

Thanks for sharing the video of Sammy. I loved watching how excited and proud he became when he knew he'd said it right. What a bright smile! He's so cute!

Jill said...

I really understand how you feel about small miracles. And I know you know why I do. That video is really sweet. I like to think that when Sam really starts, we're gonna all get an ear full. He's a smart kid. Way to go Sam!

Jenna said...

How Fantastic!
This is such a great step forward.

You should be so proud that your hard work has paid off.

What an awesome family you guys are--such an inspiration!

Micaela L. Hess said...

How tender and sweet! You guys are doing an excellent job with him. Keep it up!

Beate said...

Oh my goodness, that is the cutest video. He is precious.

Always a Southern Girl said...

How wonderful. My step son Niko, he's 10 now. Used to not be able to talk, and when he finally started even at age 5 and 6 you could hardly understand him. He has been diagnosed with PDD, (it's under the autism umbrella)

But after years of therapy OT, PT, ST and beahavioral, we are doing great. (most of the time)

I will be saying a prayer for you. I loved hearing your Sammy's sweet voice saying Jesus!!

I'm gonna follow your blog. Come by and visit me sometime if you get a chance, I would love to have ya!

AB HOME INTERIORS said...

This is awesome! Stopping by from SITS

Haley Hatch Freeman said...

This was so precious!
It was fun hearing your voice again Catherine!
Your guy is adorable and you are doing a great job with him.

A said...

Your son is absolutely adorable!!

It must be very difficult but you seem to be doing a fantastic job....

Anonymous said...

How precious is this to grandma's ears??

Meagan said...

here I was saying somethin sweet about my son and he came in and erased it all----ggrrrr. Either way, I was just saying how hard it has been with Dominic, as an infant he has some pretty severe ear infections which made it hard for him to hear, even after we got tubes put in he still got a lot of ear infections and so it was like his ears were always full of water and he talked just like he heard it which made it hard to understand him--we have since found out he has bad allergies and now that he is on allergy medicine it has helped, and he attended a yr of headstart and got speach therapy which also helped wonders. Either way I know that isn't little sammy's problem, that isn't what I am gettign at, what I am getting at is I totally understand those little things other parents take for granted, I remember the first time I didn't have to "translate" for him, we were in the E.R. and the doctor came in and asked what was going on and he said, "I cut my finger with a knife, I wasn't listening to mommy" I almost dropped dead with shock, not because he knew why we were there but because when I went to repeat what he said the doctor pointed out she understood him--oh the overwhelming joy I felt

Now Dominic has other issues, but I wouldn't trade him for the world.

Pamela Donnis Designs said...

How exciting for little triumphs. You guys are so good at documenting. One day you'll look back and be amazed at his progress. Yay Sammy!

Melanni said...

Good job, Sammy!

Otter Thomas said...

Way to go Sammy! It is great that you are teaching him about Jesus at an early age. Those lessons will stick with him forever.

Future Mama said...

What a beautiful story, and great video! I'm so glad you caught this on tape, how wonderful is that?! Brought tears to my eyes!

日月神教-任我行 said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,a片,線上遊戲,色情遊戲,日本a片,性愛