Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Queen of My Kingdom

On several occasions I’ve tried to mimic the actions of my wife Cat with unbelievably awesome results, and I mean awesome in the sense of failure beyond comprehension.

Somehow Cat is able to juggle cleaning the house, getting the kids dressed, then undressing them to change their diapers and dressing them again, feeding them three times a day and me twice a day (I manage to make my own bowl of cereal for breakfast), getting Sam to the school bus on time, which includes remembering what time the bus comes, then collecting him from the bus stop at the right time, and still finding time to post a blog, check her email, and comment on a few dozen other blogs in her free time which in all reality is nonexistent. Oh, she also does the laundry and the dishes somewhere in between all that other stuff. Come to think of it, I hardly remember a time seeing her do the laundry or the dishes. They are somehow just magically done. It must be something that I’ve seen her do so often that I don’t even realize that it’s being done. You know, like watching someone breathe while they’re talking to you. You know they’re doing it, it just happens so often you’ve completely zoned it out.

I’ve tried to do the laundry from time to time. I find myself breathing heavily just trying to sort the clothes into their respective pile. And it isn’t until later on I realize I’ve forgotten to scan the house for strays, and find two or three things of each color category that can’t be washed together, so I don’t technically finish the laundry.

The same thing goes for the dishes. I’m always finding another sippy-cup or a piece of silverware jammed between the seat cushions just after I’ve drained the water from the sink. There is the rare occasion that it happens to her, but not as often as it happens to me, and remember she does this enough that I take it for granted.

Then there is the issue of food. I am in a phrase “kitchen retarded”. I can look through every cupboard including the fridge and conclude that I am going to starve to death, then in comes the queen, and magically she saves me from ramen noodle poisoning, and even manages to put a few pounds on me over time. I don’t know how she does it, she just does. I believe it to be a talent she calls multitasking.

I must conclude that her ability to multitask supersedes my ability of conscious thought, and that I will never be able to accomplish all or even half the things she does in one day. I feel like we’re the king and queen respectively on a chessboard. She can jump the length of it in the time it takes me to move one square. Her strength to bear and give birth to two eight and a half pound boys is beyond my comprehension, and then to raise them without going crazy in the meantime is absolutely inspiring.

My Queen has certainly earned her title. I love her with all my heart and adore her in every way. She is my Queen forever and always, the one and only Cat.

I Hope all you mothers out there have an excellent Mothers Day, because you certainly deserve it.
Until next week,
The daddy nut.

12 comments:

Our Family said...

Daddy Nut, I think women everywhere are going to love you after reading this post!

It's nice when someone really notices and appreciates what a mom does. Laundry and dishes ARE frustrating. They are never ending.

I agree; Momma Nut is amazing! In addition to everything you listed, she has a great attitude and great sense of humor. I love this blog!

Ramen Noodle Poisoning *snort*

Taryn said...

Such a sweet post! Our Family is correct when saying "women everywhere are going to love you after reading this post". You are very kind for showing your appreciation for Momma Nut. You all are adorable, and this is an adorable blog!
I am stopping by from SITS, and would like to wish Momma Nut a WONDERFUL Mother's Day!!!

Love,
Taryn

Jill said...

Wow. Mama Nut, you've got one great guy. And he obviously has one great gal. It's so sweet to see how appreciative he is of all you do. Even all the little stuff that often goes unnoticed and unappreciated because it is so "everyday."

I really enjoy you both. You're great people. I hope you have a great weekend. Have a great mother's day, Mama Nut. You deserve it. :)

Beth said...

Just came over from SITS and love your blog. I can't wait to read more.

Haley Hatch Freeman said...

I am impressed with your writing skills "Daddy Nut" I love how you appreciate your lady.
Thanks for the mother's day shout out.

Cat- I also love the letter to your teen self. If I had a teenage daughter I would make her read it.

Melanni said...

What a sweet letter to your wife! She is amazing and I'm glad she (and you, on Saturday's) shares her perspective with us.

Micaela L. Hess said...

VERY good post, Ben!

Jodie said...

What an awesome post! You are a wonderful husband and your wife is very lucky to have you too! Happy Mother's Day Momma Nut!

Cynthia said...

Ah Daddy Nut, I just read this to my hubs and he complained that your making all blog Dads look bad!

I think it's great that you're so proud of all she does. There is no task more thankless than laundry.

I WOULD like to know where she gets the magic that makes it all get done invisibly because I could seriously use some!

Farmer*swife said...

This is the Super-Sweetest! Looooved-luved it!

Happy Mother's Day to your Queen!

Farmer*swife said...

I put your button up at my place! ;-)

Future Mama said...

Awww, what a sweet post by daddy!! I'm loving thsi blog... you guys have a beautiful family!