Friday, May 8, 2009

A Letter to My Younger Self

Dear Teenage Self—

Our ten year high school reunion is quickly approaching, and memories of our days in school have been flooding back. Many good ones and some bad ones. But most of all I can’t stop thinking about all the stupid things we did. All the things I wish we would have known! So the idea of writing you a letter was born. There are so many things I want to tell you, to warn you. But I know it is just too late. Don’t worry though, you turn out alright! Really happy! I promise.

But, if you could read this letter, there are a few things I want you to know. Things I wish I had known when I was you.

1. That hot guy on the football team you pine after is living the best days of his life. He never goes to college and makes less than 25 thousand a year in a job he hates. He's also bald, not by choice.
2. Getting good grades is actually a smart idea. Work harder, you can! And on a side note – ditch the purple and pink hair. No one thinks it’s cool but you.
3. That guy you are dating is a loser! Dump his butt and don’t look back! He is rumored to have anti-American tattoos that got him discharged from the army. He also never went to college, and who knows what he is doing now.
4. It isn’t really important what people think of you. You’re awesome and a great friend! Don’t be shy, get out there and be yourself, shine.
5. That cute guy you kiss in the school musical – let’s just say your future husband calls him uncle.
6. You really are skinny!! Enjoy it!
7. Don’t get jealous of the girls that get married and have kids first. Live your life, do fun things as a single person (I know you will, because I did). Because I’ll let you in on a little secret: many of those girls are now divorced and some even twice before you even get married the first time. YES, you do get married! I know you thought you might not. But you DO!
8. Be nicer to mom and dad. They don’t know everything, and like it or not, having a teenage daughter like you isn’t an easy thing. Take it easier on them – they are still learning.
9. Don’t dislike your little sister. I know you think she is weird and you fight all the time. But believe it or not, you turn out to best friends one day. Seriously!
10. And finally, my last piece of advice. Be nice to the nerds! They are the ones who really make something out of themselves! Especially that gangly, grease monkey that works at the gas station on the corner. Don’t act like you don’t know who I am talking about! The one who comes out and washes your windows when you pull in. The one with all the acne. Yes, that one! Why? Why should you be nice to him?

Because nerds that look like this:



Grow up to look like this:

Sincerely,
Your Future Self



***


Tomorrow is Daddy Saturday! So don’t forget to stop by and see what Daddy Nut has up his sleeve this time.

I will post the results of the contest by 12:15ish am on Sun. I normally don’t post on Sundays, but I wanted to make sure to wish you all a very Happy Mother’s Day.

22 comments:

Valentine said...

what a great letter! i am so embarrassed when i think back on things i did in high school, but i guess they wouldn't be teenage years without embarrassment....

stopping by from SITS

Erica said...

That was a great letter and so true to. Thanks for posting it. :)

The Blonde Duck said...

Popped in from SITS. What a cute letter! It reminds me of that Brad Paisley song.

Joy said...

I was so, so charmed by your open letter to your younger self.

Joy, via SITS roll call

Mary K Brennan said...

What a neat idea. Wouldn't it be great if we were all given a letter when we were teenagers to hint how we would turn out.
It's all a learning experience, and a fun one at that.

Our Family said...

Just the other day I read something that made me wonder if I would want to go back to high school and do it all again. So, that was a funny coincidence! I enjoyed reading your letter. I wish I had a letter from my future self right now. :o)

Melanni said...

Ha, this is funny! Hindsight is always 20/20.

Anonymous said...

I loved that letter....and yes your Mother does know EVERYTHING...Love, Mom

WhisperingWriter said...

Awesome letter.

I've always liked nerds. Even now. I'm sort of married to one :)

Jill said...

Oh I only wish I had had my head on straight back in my teenage years. I was so clueless. And I do wish I had appreciated my mother more. I always tease my younger siblings (15 and 13) that they really do need to realize how great she is. (My mom had a couple of kids after I graduated.) She's been around the block a few times and she's a lot smarter and wise to their shenanigans than they think. She had me first, I mean COME ON!!!

I agree that I wish I had just realized how great I was at the time and hadn't been so self conscious. I could have done some amazing things. :)

Thanks for sharing your letter.

Andrea said...

Love it!

Shannon said...

I loved it. Thanks for making me think back.

Camryn said...

This was beautiful, I loved it!

Also--your wal-mart post was hysterical! Thanks for the good laugh!

Rocksee said...

This is a great letter!!

Veronica Ernest said...

Very Cool!Amen

Controlling My Chaos said...

Love this. Man, I wish I really could send a letter to my past self. It would have saved a lot of time and heart ache.

Rocksee said...

Yo mama nut.. tagged you at my blog!

Juliet Grossman said...

I HEART nerds. They are great. My friend's dad always told us, "In in high school, out in life." It's not 100%, but it's pretty accurate if my small town high school is anything to judge by.

Amy said...

YOu better love your little sis!! I am like.. the best little sis ever! :) Ahh... gotta love the good old days. Love the pic of us... we were so "bad." It took a good year before people realized I was a goody goody, got good grades, and have an overwhelmingly strong conscious (wasn't very fun I guess :) ) But I made it through, and fortunatly have no regrets. I learned a lot in those days. Ya know though... I can't think of many years in those days that we weren't great friends.. I don't remember fighting THAT much. Anyway, thanks for a reminder of the good ol days :)

MommyJo said...

I had to laugh about that Grease Monkey with the acne!! Too funny! Because I didn't know my husband when I was younger but... looking at his pictures as a teenager... I probably wouldn't have looked twice!!! TOO FUNNY! Oh... how naive we were in our youth... I guess though that I don't really have very many regrets... I was one of the few perfect teens! ;) (i am just sure that there would be no disagreeing with that) ha ha!!
Oh... thanks for the laughs of years long gone!

Just a Plane Ride Away said...

I LOVE this letter! LOVE it. I think all girls age 10 and up should read it.

Thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting! I'm looking forward to reading more of yours :-)

Kelly Dawn said...

umm yeah i so think i am going to have to write one of these...only my high school reunion coming up? Is more like 24 years i think....ughhhhh....Looking at your list? omgoodness....the things i would tell myself...