Our ten year high school reunion is quickly approaching, and memories of our days in school have been flooding back. Many good ones and some bad ones. But most of all I can’t stop thinking about all the stupid things we did. All the things I wish we would have known! So the idea of writing you a letter was born. There are so many things I want to tell you, to warn you. But I know it is just too late. Don’t worry though, you turn out alright! Really happy! I promise.
But, if you could read this letter, there are a few things I want you to know. Things I wish I had known when I was you.
1. That hot guy on the football team you pine after is living the best days of his life. He never goes to college and makes less than 25 thousand a year in a job he hates. He's also bald, not by choice.
2. Getting good grades is actually a smart idea. Work harder, you can! And on a side note – ditch the purple and pink hair. No one thinks it’s cool but you.
3. That guy you are dating is a loser! Dump his butt and don’t look back! He is rumored to have anti-American tattoos that got him discharged from the army. He also never went to college, and who knows what he is doing now.
4. It isn’t really important what people think of you. You’re awesome and a great friend! Don’t be shy, get out there and be yourself, shine.
5. That cute guy you kiss in the school musical – let’s just say your future husband calls him uncle.
6. You really are skinny!! Enjoy it!
7. Don’t get jealous of the girls that get married and have kids first. Live your life, do fun things as a single person (I know you will, because I did). Because I’ll let you in on a little secret: many of those girls are now divorced and some even twice before you even get married the first time. YES, you do get married! I know you thought you might not. But you DO!
8. Be nicer to mom and dad. They don’t know everything, and like it or not, having a teenage daughter like you isn’t an easy thing. Take it easier on them – they are still learning.
9. Don’t dislike your little sister. I know you think she is weird and you fight all the time. But believe it or not, you turn out to best friends one day. Seriously!
10. And finally, my last piece of advice. Be nice to the nerds! They are the ones who really make something out of themselves! Especially that gangly, grease monkey that works at the gas station on the corner. Don’t act like you don’t know who I am talking about! The one who comes out and washes your windows when you pull in. The one with all the acne. Yes, that one! Why? Why should you be nice to him?
Because nerds that look like this:
Grow up to look like this:
Your Future Self
Tomorrow is Daddy Saturday! So don’t forget to stop by and see what Daddy Nut has up his sleeve this time.
I will post the results of the contest by 12:15ish am on Sun. I normally don’t post on Sundays, but I wanted to make sure to wish you all a very Happy Mother’s Day.