Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Case of the Missing Chips

This is one of my favorite posts I wrote on my private blog last December. I hope you enjoy reading it as much I did writing it!

The Crime:
Yesterday, Ben let me sleep in after a long night of Sammy's Nighttime Activities, so naturally, he took charge of the kids so I could sleep. Now, mothers often wonder why kids prefer Daddy time to Mommy time. Let me tell you. Ben thought it would be great fun to give the kids little bowls of chocolate chips for breakfast -- and of course, he got the third degree from me later on. When I woke up, I found Ben looking around the house and I asked him what he was searching for. Apparently, he had just noticed that Sammy and Nephi were always eating chocolate chips, but that they always seemed to have plenty in their bowls. Finally, it hit him that they were getting refills somehow. So Ben went into the kitchen finding one of the kitchen chairs pulled up to the counter where he had left the chips "out of reach" -- but they were gone. And he couldn't find them anywhere.
The Scene of the Crime:
Here is where the crime took place. As you can see, there was evidence in the form of a little red car left behind. A clue.

The Suspects:

I love a good mystery (and a great story), so I grabbed my camera, and gathered my suspects. Now, I could have included Ben in my list, but I truth be told, Ben just isn't clever enough to eat all the chips and seriously blame the kids... that was something I would do, not him. Ben is just too honest -- and that's a good thing!

Suspect #1: Sammy the Sly

The most likely suspect. He could move the chair, Nephi could not. Sam usually is the mastermind of all naughtiness in the Nutshell and was also proudly displaying evidence on the corner of his mouth.

Suspect #2: Nephi the Nefarious

Nephi was equally guilty by association. A co-conspirator. Although, he wasn't the culprit, evidence smeared all over his face and hands. So, needless to say, it was concluded that Nephi was gladly reaping the benefits.

Conculsion:

Ben and I searched EVERYWHERE for the missing chips. There was no trail, no empty bag, nothing. Sammy was just too clever! I couldn't stand it! Never before had my 3 year old outsmarted me, and I couldn't let this be a first. It was driving me nuts knowing that somewhere in the house was a hidden stash of chocolate chips. We looked for about 2 hours and came up with nothing. I had given up and decided to just move on with my day. I knew that Sam would lead me to them anyway, later on. Feeling defeat, I went in the kitchen to do the dishes. When I got to the sink and looked down, guess what I found! You got it! The missing chips! Sammy had cleverly hidden them among the dirty dishes. I had to give it to him, it was the last place I would ever think to look... and I didn't even do that! It was by mistake that I even found them. Outsmarted again, Sammy.... better luck next time.

22 comments:

ROSIDAH said...

Very cool post! They must be some of the most cutest "criminals" in the world. Have a great day and happy mother's day :)

DaveandRuth said...

Very clever! When husband's are left to there own devices, anything is bound to happen!

Our Family said...

Hahahaha! I loved this post! Those sneaky kids!

Jill said...

This is one of my favorite posts as well. Right up there with the blue oil pastel. Such a clever way of telling the story. But you always are. Love your writing!!

PINKMONKEY said...

I have suspected for a long time that my children are smarter than me..but it does not make me very happy, slightly uneasy actually.

Meagan and John said...

HAHAHAHAha, I am laughing only because it is me that would feed Dominic a bowl full of chocolate chips for breakfast, John would serve Dominic a bowl of cereal and keep the chocolate chips to himself, I though believe in caring, if it is good enough for my breafast than it is good enough for him.

Dominic loves to spend time with daddy but only while mommy is around, Dominic prefers to spend time with mommy though cause, as daddy puts it, mom lets him get away with murder...but since I missed so much of his life working i find I had to "buy" his love when I became disabled, I can't change my ways now, can I?

Shannon said...

That's great. I usually find stuff way after the fact & have no idea that it was ever stolen in the first place.

NYC Mama said...

Too cute!!! Oh boy, I just know this is the type of thing I will be experiencing once Theo gets old enough to pull fast ones on me. And that time is fast apporaching!

Camryn said...

Kids are too smart these days! I hate to admit, but sometimes, I feel like my 8 and 6 year old are already smarter than I am! The things my kids come up with...They're learning to be great masterminds at such a young age...

tracy said...

Adorable!!

Mimi said...

I love this post! Choc. chips for b'fast, priceless.

Thanks for stopping by my blog & helping to make my SITS day special!

Tammy said...

I love it! That is priceless! Hi from the SITStahood.

Clare said...

What a fun story to read. Thank you for visiting and following my blog. It made my day.

sassy stephanie said...

You.crack.me.up. That was hilarious!

Lo said...

It's BLUES CLUES!!!! I hope you had your notebook on hand! Visiting from SITS. I'm having a giveaway on my blog. Stop by and enter!

Charlotte said...

That's hysterical! He really knows you if he is hiding it amongst the dirty dishes, I wouldn't look there either. Cute kids!

Terresa said...

Love the "suspects" shots. Clever, sweet blog post!

Amy said...

Very cute Story! Don't you just love those sneaky kids. I have one who latest thing is "Shut your eyes Mommy" and then she takes something she know she isn't supposed to have. Thanks for stopping by we love love love new visitors and we love getting new followers. Thanks for the great comment. You made our day.

Little Lady Cakes said...

I LOVE a great mystery!

Thank you for stopping by. I grabbed your button. :)

Amy said...

I love this post! SOOO funny, and so cleverly told. YOu are so funny :)

Rocksee said...

haha those lang boys.. !!!

Katy said...

Oh My goodness! Too funny! What a couple of cute little culprits!