Saturday, May 23, 2009

Board Game Galore

Now I know that each of us has a stash of board games or puzzles somewhere in the house. The three favorites are always on top, the next three are there for visitors who have a different taste in games. and the rest of the stack is either missing pieces or has dead batteries, but we don't have the heart to donate them yet. Now the reason for this post is to give you an idea of our taste in games by talking about our three favorites.

The game in third place is Trivial Persuit. This is the game where we are equally matched because Cat is an English/History buff, and I have an edge in the Math/Science world. The Entertainment slot can go either way, and we both draw a blank in the Sports, so we use that slot as a "choose your own category" space. I know it's cheating, but that's why we bought the board game and not the computerized version. It makes it more fun anyway.

The game in the number two slot is one called Sequence. It's a strategy game using playing cards, placement chips and a game board with a picture of each card on it in random order. You have to get five chips in a row to get a sequence, and the first one to get three sequences is the winner. Now I tend to have the upper hand in this game because it deals strictly with numbers and patterns, so I can pull off a win about two-thirds of the time. Trouble is, I'm easily destracted, and Cat exploits this whenever possible. She ends up making it a pretty close game every time, but I still hold that I am the better player.

This brings us to our favorite board game. Scrabble. Now if you have never heard of this game before, I hereby banish you to Redneckville. Come to think of it, you're probably already there, so don't bother. Those of you that have heard of this blessed game will probably recall that Cat is the English/History buff, giving her one heck of an edge. Come to think of it, I've only won once that I recall, and that was by single digits, and Cat got the "Q" and the "X". Who knew "QUIXOTE" was a word! So you're probably thinking "Why would Ben like Scrabble when he gets his butt handed to him on a regular basis?" I've actually asked myself this question on a number of occasions... right up to the point where I won. That's when I realized the answer is ... "The Greater the Journey, The Sweeter the Reward". And until that time comes again, I will content myself by figuring out how close I was to her score.

Have a Great Memorial weekend.

The Daddy Nut

12 comments:

Erica said...

Scrabble is a big hit around our house to my 11yr loves it.

Mama Nut said...

I totally win Sequence more then that! More like half the time!

Our Family said...

Ooh, "Quixote." That's a good one. I would've lost a turn or something because I would've challenged it, saying it was a proper noun. I just looked it up, though. Catherine wins!

If you like mathematical or strategy games you should try Mancala or Othello. I also really like a card game called Set.

Jill said...

I love Scrabble. I'll have to remember never to play against you Cat. I'm not very good at it. My husband and I are pretty evenly matched. Have you ever played Boggle. Now that is a real challenge.

Ha ha! The word verification is manloca. Daddy Nut, you're a crazy man! :)

Pam said...

I absolutely love to play games. My hubby loves Scrabble, but I won't play with him because I make words like cat and go and he makes words like... well, like Quixote! Jeesh! We used to play Trivial Pursuit a lot, but not so much anymore. We are a crack team though because he's good at Geography/HIstory/Sports and I'm good at Literature/Science. Entertainment is a toss up for us as well. Have you ever played Rummicube? LOVE that game. You would like it too. Very math/pattern based. I kick @ss in that one. My real love is Mah Jong, though. I play both Asian and American style. Very exciting, strategy filled game. Great post!

Tammy said...

Chutes and Ladders, Hi Ho Cherry-o, Candy Land

I guess that says a lot about the ages of my kids. LOL.

Kathy B! said...

I LOVE Sequence!! It's a great game to play with adults and kids. We'll have to bust out the Scrabble board... I haven't done that in awhile :)

Rocksee said...

We are all for twister. Is that a board game? Me and my daddy nut pin it on the wall and try to do it that way. One leg and 2 handed. Intoxitcated makes it even more iteresting.

Cynthia said...

I wish my hubs liked board games. We rarely play them except when we go to one of my sister's places. They like to find fun, off beat board games.

Some favorites are Ticket to Ride (there is an online version you can play for free that's a blast!), Niagra and The Farming Game.

Banteringblonde said...

Scrabble gets pretty fierce around here when my mom is visiting!

Pamela Donnis Designs said...

LOL. That last comment is pretty funy. We love Scrabble too, but Jared usually wins--it's the English major thing. Monopoly is one that we have banned though. I can't stand playing for hours and then losing that one. Too frustrating for me. Do you guys like Settlers of Katan?

Melanni said...

We love Speed Scrabble at our house! It become funnier the later you play at night(0: Ticket to Ride is fun, too.