Monday, May 18, 2009

...and we lived happily ever after... in a trailer

Ben and I had a whirlwind romance. Even though we grew up living down the street from one another, attended the same church, and went to high school together -- we were never friends. I was two years older and a lot taller than he was then (now he is a full head taller!).

We actually didn't hook up until several years later when Ben got back from living in Mexico for 2 years. I know this sounds super cheesy and out of a romance novel, but I knew the moment we saw each other, after all those years, that we would get married.

I asked him out (typical), and we had a great time. From our first date to the day we got married was 5 weeks. I know, I know. You are thinking, you are totally crazy girl!! Out of your mind! Only 5 weeks!! That's right.
So there we were, newly married, a small bank account, and nowhere to live. All this just a week before Christmas. We knew that Ben was going to go back to school, so we headed out of town and stayed with my grandparents who lived by the college Ben planned on attending. While he was getting into school, I was busy looking for a place for us. We had an apartment lined up, and were supposed to move in. But when we showed up with our stuff, the landlord told us the former tenants decided to stay (thanks for informing us!). So there we were, with a truck load of stuff, and once again homeless.

Then I got a kidney infection and became useless. What a way to start out a marriage! Ben took the initiative and found a trailer park that was renting one of its "units." While I was sick in bed, Ben went out, saw it, accepted it, and made the deposit all on his own. When he returned to report, he was really excited and thought I would really like it.

So off we went, to our new home. The minute I saw it, I wanted to cry. It looked like a tornado had brought it from Kansas and plunked it down in Utah. We went in. I think it had been built in the sixties, with the original linoleum in the kitchen area. There were no lights -- only one dinky one above the stove for the whole living room and kitchen. The walls had a bunch of holes from the previous owner's fist and what puzzled me the most was there were hand and footprints on the ceiling. What the...?!

It was two bedrooms. There were no doors on the closets, and only one bedroom had a door (the smallest one). The bathroom looked like a port-a-potty with a pea-green bathtub and sink. I was afraid to look in the tub, and when I did, I wasn't surprised that it had a huge hole where the drain used to be and the bottom was caked with a brown slime. Gives me the creeps just to remember it!

"So, what do you think?" my dear, sweet, new husband asked me. I wanted to cry. I looked him in the eyes. Instead of bursting out in tears, I started to laugh. And laugh. And laugh some more. I couldn't stop. The whole situation was so bad, that it was actually funny!

This was before Ben figured out my sense of humor and he asked me what was so funny. Why was I laughing? I said, "I am laughing to keep from crying! This place is a dump!" And I laughed some more... my sides started to hurt. At first I thought his feelings were hurt, and then he got it and we laughed together.

We bucked up and made that trailer our first home. We had our first pregnancy there, which was awful! I spent my 7th-9th months in 115 degree weather with no AC and swamp cooler that made all other swamp coolers ashamed to be related. I sat in that oven of a trailer surrounded by fans and was still roasting. Our couch was from the 60's, big orange flowers and all, and I had to roll onto the floor to get off. Good thing we had a TV to keep us company, even if the cable did turn out to be stolen and the people on it had green faces because it had been hit by lightening. Then we brought our new baby home from the hospital. It became a place full of love. We liked it. Good memories.

Then we got an offer to move into a 3 bedroom town home, with AC, two car garage, and 2 bathrooms. Let's just say, that as much as we "loved" our cozy little trailer, as soon as we got that offer any attachments we had to the place were quickly severed. So much for loyalty!

So we packed up our stuff, and said goodbye to our first little home... and never looked back.

***
Don't forget to nominate a favorite Daddy Blog to be featured next month for Father's Day! Send me an email to: nutsinanutshell*at* gmail*dot*com So far I have received the grand total of ZERO. So please drop me a line if you know a good one.

Well, friends, we are headed out of town tomorrow! Going down to the country to visit the family. Don't worry, we will still be posting, but with a western-ranchy-farm theme.... maybe. You'll just have to come on back and see!
Have a great Monday!

25 comments:

Sara said...

Hi I came from SITS. I love your love story. I also asked my husband out, go figure:) Your story brought memories back for me. My husband and I didnt live in a trailer, but a very old apartment. My husband and I were blind to all the problems, we loved the meories. Our parents saw it for what it was, old and creaky. When my husband and I did move, we also were traitors. We enjoy our place much better.
Thanks for the memores. Have a great day!

Kelly Dawn said...

lmao...ok woman...I have been here 4 times in 2 days...lol...

I asked my husband out...then got "inebriated" (hey I was young and dumb) and called him out in front of all his friends and said HEY if you arent really interested could ya let me know? I have a date waiting elsewhere if you arent" ---- we have been together ever since...will be 20 years in 2010...lol....oh and yep you guessed it...I am two years older than him...lol...and we spent our time in a couple of trailers when the kids were little... **sigh**

Brooke said...

What a great blog,too funny! I love your coping laughter, I am so much the same in stressful situations. But, you are my hero....pregnant with no AC....I was the queen of hot flashes in my pregnancies and would have surely died or maybe moved into my freezer!

Bev said...

love your story! have a wonderful monday!

Kimberly said...

I love your post today! What a fun way to start out my day by reading it :) First of all, you deserve an award for going through your first pregnancy in the third trimester without AC. Wow! I'm at the end of my pregnancy right and even with AC I'm miserable!

What an extra-ordinary 'home' to begin your marriage in! From your description it sounds like it was quite an experience but also a place where you and your husband developed your love! That makes those memories so wonderful :) It shows in how you wrote about it, too.

For the daddy blog rec, I have a few if that is okay! I recently posted a Tuesday Tribute to five writer-dad blogs that I have found on the Internet. I'll email you their blogs. They are terrific and each one is unique in its own way. Great idea!

Suzann @ Lavender and Roses said...

Just popping in from SITS to say good morning.

I enjoyed your post. There is something very special about your "first place", isn't there?

Pam said...

You are a better woman than I am. I would not have found the humor in this situation. I wish I was more like you. I'll have to work on that!

Meagan and John said...

I don't know, our first apartment was down the street from liberty park (I didn't realize liberty park had a rep until it was too late) and since I am such a deep sleeper I never noticed all the gunshots at night, but they were there

next apartment we lived in was in Rose Park, and our neighbor was murdered outside our bedroom window while we slept, then after we moved into our 3rd house a prostitute was found dead in the dumpster (that was WVC) needless to say after all that moving out of Utah didn't seem all that bad.

Have fun visiting the family and if you see any of my fam. tell them I said "HI!"

Jill said...

Oh man... love it. You've got to start out somewhere. I shudder to think about our first apt. It was adorable but in a nasty neighborhood. (You're young and in love so you seem oblivious to the obvious I guess.) We were always waiting for the police to clear some person they were arresting by our yard (before we could leave our apt or get out of the car to go in). Later we discovered that we'd moved into the Meth capital of our town without realizing it. I'm sure our neighbors wondered why we came and left at normal times of day and why we went to bed at a normal time. Go figure. But you've got to start out somewhere and it makes for a great story later. I love your story! I have known you for awhile and I'd never heard that story. Thanks for sharing!!! I guess you probably appreciate your tiny college apt more since that experience. It might be small but at least there's no foot prints on the cieling or brown sludge in the tub!

Ha Ha... the word verification is beesti. Very accurate!

DaveandRuth said...

My aunt lived in a trailer very similar to that with her 6 kids for quite a while. Then they built their house on the same lot and moved into it. I think she even had a couch just as you described!

LZ said...

Great story! I love it, especially the 5 weeks to marriage bit. When it's right, it's right!
We lived in a tiny apt. barely 1 bedroom, and we always happy. Tells you you're with the right one...

Robbie S.Redmon, LPC said...

Hi, you beat me for SITS Roll Call today! That was fun. I felt like I was running up the stairs to get there. Could have been that it was late and needed to be in bed! Have a great day!

Amy said...

Great story! I enjoyed reading about you and Ben. Took me back to the trailer my hubs and I lived in and my first couch in college with big orange flowers ( I thought it was such a good deal) and how I knew too that I would marry him someday. Thanks for sharing and have a good trip.

The Blonde Duck said...

Popped in from SITS! I think it's stories like yours that show the power of true love--and it's got nothing to do with fancy houses and cars!

Camryn said...

I think a lot of newlyweds start out the same way. I cried almost nightly when we were in our first apartment. Good memories and bad ones too. the neighbors were...Well, they were not a happy couple and they fought verbally and physically. I hated hearing that! But I made great friends too :)

I too was quick to sever my ties to my apartment when we were offered a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom, 2 level townhome. Goodbye grungy apartment, forever!

Southern Aspirations said...

HI- from SITS. Too funny story- I love it! And, I asked my husband out as well.

passionsandsoapboxes.com said...

First the verification words crack me up, gograg:>

Those moments in our lives bond us or break us... glad to see you two use superglue.

Haley Hatch Freeman said...

Fun post! I love reading newly wed stories. I'm glad you can look back at the situation you were in and laugh now and find joy in the beginning of this grown up live.
I got the worst kidney infection too right after being married and I was in the hospital for four days with a 105 temp. not good! We are still paying the bill since it was right before my husband's insurance kicked in.
I see you already have won the Lovely Blog award but I was given it too and I had to add you as one of my favorites. So now you won it twice! =0) Got to afuturefortomorrow.blogspot.com to see it.
Have fun back in our old territory.

BridgetJean said...

What a great story, you have a awesome husband and a great marriage.

Nicki and Mathis said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog last week on my SITS day! We have a lot in common. My husband and I also went to the same high school and church, but never hung around in the same crowds (until late in our senior year).

Our Family said...

I loved reading your "How we met" story. It is really sweet. I think it's great that you just started laughing about the house. I've done that quite a few times when I could've cried, including when I got pulled over for speeding. I've heard that crying can get you out of tickets, but laughing is NOT a good idea. I ended up with a ticket. :o)

NYC Mama said...

I am so much like you in that I laugh hysterically at the oddest times. Sometimes if the situation is bad enough, if you don't laugh your butt off you will just fall down kicking and screaming like a toddler, (and then curl up in the fetal position and stay there for a week). LOL!

Pamela Donnis Designs said...

Oh my. This is too funny! 5 weeks... crazy! Good for you guys. We lived in a pretty run down place our first several months of marriage too. Oh love... I'm not sure that would work too well now though! I love that you laughed instead of cried. I'm not sure I would have been able to!

Kristina said...

Hey, I saw you on SITS. This story is so funny!! You have a good sense of humor because I probably would have cried.

日月神教-任我行 said...

走光,色遊戲,情色自拍,kk俱樂部,好玩遊戲,免費遊戲,貼圖區,好玩遊戲區,中部人聊天室,情色視訊聊天室,聊天室ut,成人遊戲,免費成人影片,成人光碟,情色遊戲,情色a片,情色網,性愛自拍,美女寫真,亂倫,戀愛ING,免費視訊聊天,視訊聊天,成人短片,美女交友,美女遊戲,18禁,三級片,自拍,後宮電影院,85cc,免費影片,線上遊戲,色情遊戲,日本a片,美女,成人圖片區,avdvd,色情遊戲,情色貼圖,女優,偷拍,情色視訊,愛情小說,85cc成人片,成人貼圖站,成人論壇,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,免費a片,視訊美女,視訊做愛,免費視訊,伊莉討論區,sogo論壇,台灣論壇,plus論壇,維克斯論壇,聊天室