Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Sammy No Swiping! Sammy No Swiping! Oh Man!

Yesterday we had an "incident." However, I feel it is only fair for the both of us to tell our sides of the story. I'll go first:

My Side:
Two weeks ago, Sammy had an Easter Egg hunt at his preschool. He attends a school for children with special needs; from kids in wheelchairs and on oxygen, to kids who are speech delayed. A pretty broad spectrum. I was excited for Sam, he LOVES egg hunts! How do I know if he doesn't tell me? Sam has excellent body language! Last year at an egg hunt Sam went all ape and got more eggs than all the other kids. I tried not to be the proud mom as I was yelling, "Whoa, Sam! Watch out for that kid.... opps! Sam! I said...! Sam, calm down. Give everyone a chance! SAM!!! Now say 'sorry'!! Hey, give that egg back!!" Oh, the memories!!

So, Sam comes home with this cute little Easter bucket that he had decorated with stickers and a pink cotton ball bunny face. He was so proud when he got off the bus with his treats. I thought it was cute until I looked inside. I was imagining a few eggs full of candy. Oh, no. There was a stuffed animal, a fuzzy bird-pen-thing, large pre-wrapped eggs with toys inside, and lots of candy. "Wow, Sam! You totally scored!" I said.

Okay, that was background. Now, yesterday, I sent Ben out to pick Sam up at the bus. A few minutes later they come strolling in with another Easter bucket. Ben explained that the bus driver said that Sam got on the bus with it. "Uh, oh," I thought. I highly doubted that they would give Sam another basket full of treats. "Sam," I said, "did you take some one's basket?" He just smiled and ate some M&M's out of the bucket. I took the bucket away. There was no way I was going to let him eat stolen goods!

Then I did what any parent would do, I called his teacher. Luckily, she was still at the school. I told her that Sam came home with another bucket, and I was concerned that he stole it from another child. She gasped politely. She was very sweet about it, and told me that yes, some of the kids couldn't be there for the hunt and they took their buckets home today. Sam must have nicked it before getting on the bus. It made me sick to the stomach. Some little kid is crying somewhere because my Sam snatched his Easter prize and got away on the bus. The little.... (enter favorite word here)!!!

I went and got Sam's bucket and took a few things out to replace what he had eaten. He saw what I was doing and, as they used to say it in the 90's, had a cow! Then I jumped in my car and drove to the school. With many apologies on behalf of Sam, I handed the goods over. Crisis over.

Sam's Side of the Story:
First of all, he gave the basket to me. At least he wanted to. I just made it easier. I don't see what the big deal is? He was holding it, getting ready to get on the bus. I didn't have one. It just wasn't fair! So I looked around to see if big people were watching... nope. And I made my move. It was so easy, he didn't even know what happened! Then before I know it, I am one the bus with my prize, and there is nothing anyone can do! I looked out the window, and he was crying. No one knew why. He's like me -- we don't talk. Haha. Survival of the fittest. And I am the fittest.

I couldn't wait to show my dad! He will think I am so cool. But I was disappointed. He seemed worried and suspicious when I jumped out of the bus with my prize. I might have pulled it off, but Dad told Mom! Good grief! She always makes a big deal about stuff I do. It's so annoying. I tried to explain that I would share it with Nephi, but I had too many M&M's in my mouth to even grunt. Then she took the bucket away! Ahhh! The injustice! I cried. I showed them how mad I was by throwing my body around the front room. They just stood there and watched. I did it some more -- really laying it on thick. They didn't care. How rude! Now, why was I mad again.... oh, yeah, the bucket of treats! Then I saw Mom taking stuff out of MY basket and putting it in HIS. No! I threw my body around some more! When I stopped to take a breath, mom was gone and dad was watching TV. Oh, TV... what's this show? I climbed up on the couch next to my dad. He put his arm around me. "Want some?" Dad opened his hand and had some candy. Good ol' Dad! Always pulling through. Now where did Mom go?

*****
And that's pretty much how it goes in our house. Is it just me, or do some of you have kids with slippery fingers too? Do tell!
*****
I just wanted to say a quick thanks to all of you who are supporting me in this whole blog endeavor! It has been quite the adventure for me, these last couple of weeks. Doing great on gaining followers, and have only a few more to get before I feel like it's worth it to do some give-aways and contests. So spread the word and tell your friends!
Thanks, Cat a.k.a Mama Nut

10 comments:

Tamara Mitchell said...

LOL! I love it...
Have a great day, SITSah!

Anonymous said...

More good stuff.....keep it up....

Tina said...

My family and I were camping at Daniel's summit two years ago. There is a lodge and a gift shop up there as well. We decided to go inside where my then 4 year old saw a cart with so many beautiful, polished rocks. He wanted one so bad but we told him no. We got treats for the famly to share. We all got back in the car when my son proudly said," mommy,look what I have". I was shocked when I saw he had one of the pretty rocks. Uggh! We made him take it back into the store and say sorry. I have never been so mortified in my life.

Cynthia said...

So basically Sam managed to find it before the other kid managed to lose it?

Ah, the joys of Motherhood abound. What would it be without the occasional bout of public humiliation? Too funny!

Jill said...

I love the other side of the story. Hysterical!

I would have done exactly what you did though. Gotta side with you on this one! :)

Melanni said...

This was funny(0: You're really good at getting "into the minds" of your kids!

Our Family said...

I really liked poor little Sammy's version, too!

Simply Sarah said...

I just found your blog thru Pamela Donnis... Love the easter basket story. My older son has very sticky fingers and thinks that anything someone is not physically holding is game. And he's 7 now!

I am going to have to start reading your blog from the beginning.... I am sure there is lots of good stuff in here.

Amy said...

When it come to kids, candy is the number one priority. At least that is how it is with my kids. At Easter, they got tons of candy at the egg hunt on Saturday, then they got easter baskets on Sunday... and they were still asking when the next egg hunt would be!! Ahh... wish I could blame them...:) I miss being able to eat as much candy as I want... and actually getting an Easter basket!! I have always had the sweet tooth!

Meagan and John said...

Ok, so I actually have way too many stories to share here, but I did want to point out that when I was younger I remember eating what I thought was free samples only to find out they were $.10 a piece, boy was my mom ticked--of course it was Ryan who pointed the cost out to me and it was Ryan who beat me to mom and told her all about it....dang that mother's curse--granted, we have learned with Dominic to check all pockets before leaving the store.