Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Rollin' with an Oldie

"A Tribute to the Fruit Snack," is one of my most popular posts from the past on my private blog. It didn't generate many comments, but my friends and family are often quoting from it, especially when they see me whip out a fruit snack for my kids. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did writing it!


A Tribute to the Fruit Snack
Posted 27 August 2008

As a mother of young children, I have learned that all life's problems can be solved by fruit snacks. B.C. (Before Children) I never knew that the answer to many future problems in my life lay nestled snugly on the shelf in the snack food isle at Wal-Mart. Many years I pushed my cart unknowingly past Manna from Heaven in a box. And now that I look back, I realize that had I only known of the power contained within a little package of fruit snacks, life could have traveled along a smoother road. Being a natural rebel, I often buy F.S.'s (fruit snacks) wholesale from Costco or Sam's Club, and I snicker to myself at how naughty I am for buying sugary snacks for my kids. I figure as long as they brush their teeth...

Now, you are asking yourself, "What's so great about fruit snacks?" Well, I'll tell you.

Fruit Snacks bring peace to my world:
I often grab a handful of F.S.'s and shove them in my purse when we go out. And have found them to be life savers in many situations. For example:
*Sam runs vigorously around the doctor's waiting room. People's stares tell me to control my child. With cool poise, I casually put my hand in my purse and crinkle the F.S. wrapper. Sam stops in his tracks and his finely tuned ears perk up. "Come sit by me Sammy, and I've give you a fruit snack." Hook, line, and sinker.
* I'm in the kitchen and the boys keep bugging me. How about a Fruit Snack! Peace in the kitchen ensues.
* The boys are fighting for the same toy. "Hey, boys! Who wants a fruit snack?" Toy forgotten.
Peace once again reigns in our home.

Fruit Snacks fix everything:
There is no problem that can't be fixed by a F.S.
* Sammy takes a dive off the couch and face plants it on the floor. Life is over as we know it! I gather Sammy up in my arms but nothing I say will help make it better, not even the offer a magic band aid. Then I whisper the two words that every kid loves to hear "fruit snack?" And the crying stops and a smile appears.
* Church meetings have always been hard for the kids. But the trusty F.S. helps us get through it. They are also great for long car trips.
* F.S.'s also help us adults cope with life's problems at times. I know when I get stressed, feel too tired to carry on, or just PMS, I'll pop in a few fruit snacks... and most of the time one, two, sometimes three packages will do the trick. A good sugar high every once in a while never hurts... unless your diabetic or something like that, then it's probably not a great idea.

The Fruit Snack is a universal food:
I have seen many mothers of different cultures pull out the F.S.'s in sticky situations. Even though at times we don't speak the same language, our eyes will meet briefly, and nods of understanding are exchanged.

They come in many shapes, sizes, and brands:
Whether your child is into princesses, Dora, Elmo, Mickey, or even Curious George, there is something for them all.

You are probably wondering why I am sitting here taking time to praise the fruit snack. Well, today the F.S. saved me... well, my sanity anyway. The circumstances aren't even important enough to mention, so mundane, in fact, that not only will it bore me to tell the story, but I can't even make it sound interesting. But I will tell you that I was able to get my housework done in peace... at least until the unmentionable happened and I ran out of F.S.'s. And it was at this moment that I realized how much those little packages of happiness mean to me.
******
A quick side note. I have some awesome ideas for some Mother's and Father's Day giveaways. But I would like to have enough followers to make it worth it. So when I get at least 30 followers will start the fun giveaways. So spread the word to your friends and let's make it happen!

Have a super duper fruit-snackin' day!

14 comments:

Zeemaid said...

Great post. I think F.S. are seriously undervalued and I myself have forgotten about these little peace makers.

found you on Mom Blog Network. Love your blog!

Mama Nut said...

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I also love this one. You are very gifted. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas and making those mundane, everyday activities funny.

Pamela Donnis Designs said...

I SOOOO agree. Fruit snacks save me so many times too. Like this morning at the doctor's office. Only way I could keep both of them by me and still look like I was listening to the doctor rather than worrying what they were into!

Our Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Our Family said...

Whoops, I messed up my last comment. Basically, I'm already addicted to this blog. :o)

I am Harriet said...

That's great!
Great post!

Stopping by from SITS.

Kari said...

Found your link that Pamela posted at the DigiChick and COULD NOT agree more about the blessed nature of fruit snacks!!! I stock many types AT ALL TIMES (for variety, of course ... moods change, no?) and never leave the house without at least 6-8 bags - I'm usually toting 4 kiddos with me (10, 7, 5, 2) and they work for every one of them STILL! I have also been known to dig into them myself but usually end up with that look from other people ... you know the one that suggests they assume you must be pregnant is you are snacking out of your diaper bag? That look as they stare at my 4 kids .... I look forward to following your adventures!

Amy said...

Yeah, gotta love the blessed fruit snacks! I certainly have my own favorites too. Unfortunately they don't work as well as they used to :( now the kids want the real candy. Oh well, gotta enjoy it while it lasts!

Angela said...

I so agree!!! Little life savers!

Brown Family said...

I agree 100% Fruit Snacks could solve all the problems in the world. I wonder if they considered using them during the piracy talks off of Somalia! It may have helped!

Gibby said...

I have often referred to fruit snacks as crack for kids. My kids will do anything for them. I personally don't get it, I think they taste awful!

Mama-Bear said...

Seriously, fruit snacks are the greatest gift to mommykind!

日月神教-任我行 said...

走光,色遊戲,情色自拍,kk俱樂部,好玩遊戲,免費遊戲,貼圖區,好玩遊戲區,中部人聊天室,情色視訊聊天室,聊天室ut,成人遊戲,免費成人影片,成人光碟,情色遊戲,情色a片,情色網,性愛自拍,美女寫真,亂倫,戀愛ING,免費視訊聊天,視訊聊天,成人短片,美女交友,美女遊戲,18禁,三級片,自拍,後宮電影院,85cc,免費影片,線上遊戲,色情遊戲,日本a片,美女,成人圖片區,avdvd,色情遊戲,情色貼圖,女優,偷拍,情色視訊,愛情小說,85cc成人片,成人貼圖站,成人論壇,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,免費a片,視訊美女,視訊做愛,免費視訊,伊莉討論區,sogo論壇,台灣論壇,plus論壇,維克斯論壇,聊天室