A Tribute to the Fruit Snack
Posted 27 August 2008
Posted 27 August 2008
As a mother of young children, I have learned that all life's problems can be solved by fruit snacks. B.C. (Before Children) I never knew that the answer to many future problems in my life lay nestled snugly on the shelf in the snack food isle at Wal-Mart. Many years I pushed my cart unknowingly past Manna from Heaven in a box. And now that I look back, I realize that had I only known of the power contained within a little package of fruit snacks, life could have traveled along a smoother road. Being a natural rebel, I often buy F.S.'s (fruit snacks) wholesale from Costco or Sam's Club, and I snicker to myself at how naughty I am for buying sugary snacks for my kids. I figure as long as they brush their teeth...
Now, you are asking yourself, "What's so great about fruit snacks?" Well, I'll tell you.
Fruit Snacks bring peace to my world:
I often grab a handful of F.S.'s and shove them in my purse when we go out. And have found them to be life savers in many situations. For example:
*Sam runs vigorously around the doctor's waiting room. People's stares tell me to control my child. With cool poise, I casually put my hand in my purse and crinkle the F.S. wrapper. Sam stops in his tracks and his finely tuned ears perk up. "Come sit by me Sammy, and I've give you a fruit snack." Hook, line, and sinker.
* I'm in the kitchen and the boys keep bugging me. How about a Fruit Snack! Peace in the kitchen ensues.
* The boys are fighting for the same toy. "Hey, boys! Who wants a fruit snack?" Toy forgotten.
Peace once again reigns in our home.
Fruit Snacks fix everything:
There is no problem that can't be fixed by a F.S.
* Sammy takes a dive off the couch and face plants it on the floor. Life is over as we know it! I gather Sammy up in my arms but nothing I say will help make it better, not even the offer a magic band aid. Then I whisper the two words that every kid loves to hear "fruit snack?" And the crying stops and a smile appears.
* Church meetings have always been hard for the kids. But the trusty F.S. helps us get through it. They are also great for long car trips.
* F.S.'s also help us adults cope with life's problems at times. I know when I get stressed, feel too tired to carry on, or just PMS, I'll pop in a few fruit snacks... and most of the time one, two, sometimes three packages will do the trick. A good sugar high every once in a while never hurts... unless your diabetic or something like that, then it's probably not a great idea.
The Fruit Snack is a universal food:
I have seen many mothers of different cultures pull out the F.S.'s in sticky situations. Even though at times we don't speak the same language, our eyes will meet briefly, and nods of understanding are exchanged.
They come in many shapes, sizes, and brands:
Whether your child is into princesses, Dora, Elmo, Mickey, or even Curious George, there is something for them all.
You are probably wondering why I am sitting here taking time to praise the fruit snack. Well, today the F.S. saved me... well, my sanity anyway. The circumstances aren't even important enough to mention, so mundane, in fact, that not only will it bore me to tell the story, but I can't even make it sound interesting. But I will tell you that I was able to get my housework done in peace... at least until the unmentionable happened and I ran out of F.S.'s. And it was at this moment that I realized how much those little packages of happiness mean to me.
A quick side note. I have some awesome ideas for some Mother's and Father's Day giveaways. But I would like to have enough followers to make it worth it. So when I get at least 30 followers will start the fun giveaways. So spread the word to your friends and let's make it happen!
Have a super duper fruit-snackin' day!