Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Ode to the Joys of Student Housing

Living in married student housing can have it's benefits: close to the campus, around lots of other families. We have a great fenced in playground out our back door, and rent is not only cheap but comes with most utilities and Internet. But the down side can really bite!

Yesterday, I was naturally minding my own business, when there was a knock on our door. When I got to it, there were some guys letting themselves in. Which really irked me, because usually always we get notice saying that people will be coming in our "unit" to fix or inspect something.

Not this time. These guys said they came to "fix" my wireless Internet box. I was suspicious but shrugged, whatever, I knew they were part of the school because I had seen them before.

I should have been even more suspicious when they borrowed one of my kitchen chairs to stand up on to get to the box. Then did they fix it? No! They pulled out some wire cutters and disconnected it, and took the box with them. What?! "What about my Internet?" I asked.

"Oh, we're just moving it. You should be able to get a signal. See ya!" And they left. I ran to my computer, and sure enough, no signal! I waited. And I waited. Still no signal. I felt like Cindy-Lou Who when the Grinch stole her Christmas tree!

When my husband came home, I snatched his laptop and walked around with it testing the signal. Good news and bad news:

Good news: I found a signal.
Bad news: I have to sit suspiciously close to my neighbor's wall.

Ben has tried to call the school about it, but I think they must have caller ID because they won't answer. I demanded to my husband that he make it work! After all, I do need to feed my addiction!

But as for now, I am wireless while my hubby is out. So if you don't hear from me, don't get mad, feel bad!

5 comments:

BridgetJean said...

Don't feel bad, we have comcast and our internet goes out all the time, which is really a bummer for me. Good thing my neighbors have unsecured wireless internet....just kidding LOL

Our Family said...

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! They need to keep your internet up and running at all times! How am I supposed to get my Nuts in a Nutshell fix?!

Jill said...

I found out about this story this morning when I stopped by your house. Ben informed me of the intruders. Oh man! I don't know which is more irritating... the fact that they just walked in before you answered the door or the result of your WiFi after they left. Both would be super irritating. I'd be calling big time. I wish you luck.

And I'm with "Our Family" on this... how am I supposed to have my laughs each morning without your blog? I'm gonna be sad and mad!

Amy said...

Boy do I know what that's like. Imagine a week or more. Yeah, not a treat. It is like being severed from the rest of the world!

Marry liza said...

Every children feel entertainment in playground place for playground equipment.