Anyway, us college moms have to do what we can to save a dime! It's hard enough to take out student loans, watch our husbands work their butts off to provide, it's the least we can do to value every penny that crosses our palms. So I got together with some of my fellow moms, and got some great ideas to share with the masses.
Warning: If you are sensitive to being "Green" I must warn you, that the last thought on Frugal College Wives minds is being "Green" - save money first, be green later. Sorry.
Here are a few ideas on being Mildly Frugal:
- Learn how to cook! Americans spend hundreds or thousands of dollars a year on eating out. It's amazing how much you can save by cooking at home.
- Hoard food! I'm dead serious, start a food storage. If you entered a Frugal College Wife's home you wouldn't believe where you would find food. Under beds, under tables, hidden with the DVDS, I'm not kidding. One of my friends even has an extra freezer in her kid's room -- lucky duck!
- Don't by convenience foods: frozen pizza, pre-made meals, etc, will cost you a bundle.
- Utilize the Library! Why buy books when you can check them out?
- Walk, bike, use public transportation. Get on those Nike's and go for it!
- Drink Water! Yay! Soda, juice, and milk can add up.
- It's all about canned food! Seriously, it's cheaper and it stores a whole lot longer then fresh stuff. The moms and I are always on the look out for case-lot sales.
Now to get a little more Extreme:
- Learn how to cut your own hair, and the hair of your kids and husband. Not hard to do. I have been cutting my husband's and boy's for a long time. The only reason my hair looks so sexy is because my mom's a beautician and I get it done for free-- I know I'm a cheater -- but my friends aren't!
- Take your own professional photos: Okay, so I look like a dork... This was my first attempt... I got better... honest!
- My frugal friends and I LOVE plastic grocery bags! Here are a few things we do to recycle them:
I don't have to tell you what is in that!
Grocery bags make the best trash can liners!
- Use super glue!! It can fix almost anything! Almost like new!
Then there is Freaky Frugal:
- You can get free gum in the movie theatres or under a table at the bowling alley.
- You can make or fix ANYTHING with duck tape:
I hope you all have a Fabulous Freaky Frugal Day!