Last week the microwave burned out. We don't want to buy a new one, because the new house comes with one built in. So Ben got to work trying to fix it. No matter what he did, it wouldn't work. I think he was really frustrated because electrical stuff is his thing. I felt really bad because I knew it was a serious blow to his self-esteem.
Then, yesterday, I was literally about to take it out to the trash, when I decided to make dinner first. I was making Asian Chicken Salad and needed to use my food processor to chop the cabbage all perfect. So I used the outlet that the microwave was previously using, and my processor wouldn't power up! Then it hit me! The microwave wasn't broken! The outlet burned out!
I ran into Ben's office and said, "The microwave isn't broken! It's the outlet!" He looked at me blankly for a second, then he said, "did you hit the reset button on the outlet?" I nodded. Duh, of course I did. Then he asked me if I checked the circuit breaker. I said I had no idea were it was! And I had looked before and couldn't find it. He took me out to the garage, opened the storage closet, moved a few boxes, and there it was. Oh, really? Are you kidding me?
We checked the breakers and nothing was wrong.
Then his face lit right up.
Outlets were his THING. I watched as he excitedly marched into the kitchen to check it out. He got out his handy dandy Gerber and unscrewed the outlet. Yep it was burned out!
Ben's confidence shot right through the roof and I watched him head out to the hardware store to get a new outlet. He was so pleased to have something he could fix. When he got it all fixed up and the microwave running, he became the hero of the house!
We all cheered.
Every man needs to be the hero of the house once in a while.
PS Don't forget to pop over and vote for our blog! Just click on the heart in the corner of my picture -- no registration necessary and you can vote once per day! Thanks for all your love and support!